Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 ecoboost Auto start/stop HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 ecoboost Auto start/stop HELP!!!

If I had any hair left I'd pull it out. I love my F150 but absolutely HATE the default position on the auto start/stop. In my opinion it should have been programmed to default to last selection. I read a couple of posts hinting that someone had discovered a fix. I am almost at the point of purchasing a service manual to do a little research to try and figure out if there is something that can be done to disable it but after reading a few posts on this board it looks like someone has already figured it out. I am not opposed to changing the tuning but my first choice would be to make some simple change to the wiring or adding a device to possibly reverse the default. I'm also wondering if the fixes that the masters have discovered here still allow the remote start function to operate.

Thanks in advance. My sanity is at stake

Last edited by mr clean; 02-27-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr clean
If I had any hair left I'd pull it out. I love my F150 but absolutely HATE the default position on the auto start/stop. In my opinion it should have been programmed to default to last selection. I read a couple of posts hinting that someone had discovered a fix. I am almost at the point of purchasing a service manual to do a little research to try and figure out if there is something that can be done to disable it but after reading a few posts on this board it looks like someone has already figured it out. I am not opposed to changing the tuning but my first choice would be to make some simple change to the wiring or adding a device to possibly reverse the default. I'm also wondering if the fixes that the masters have discovered here still allow the remote start function to operate.

Thanks in advance. My sanity is at stake
Push the button that is a capital "A" in a circle. It should be next to the traction control button. It will turn the auto stop off and on.
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

The start stop is dependent on brake peddle pressure. a too light of a foot when stopped can cause it to cycle on and off. The brake peddle pressure is key to having a enjoyable experience.

you have to tune to deactivate it
Old 02-28-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The auto start stop is a great feature Why dont you like it.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been a shade tree/back yard mechanic for the better part of 48 years. Of course as we grow older and can afford new vehicles, the warranty takes care of most of the maintenance. I have to say I enjoy not getting greasy as much anymore but experience has showed me through the years that anything mechanical always has the potential to fail at some point. That said, this is what bothers me more than anything about the auto start/stop; when I’m at a stop sign and waiting for an opening in thick traffic that is moving at 45-50 mph, I let off the brake and because of the slope of the road gravity moves the truck forward. Now I am in the path of oncoming traffic and if the engine doesn’t restart I have put myself, wife, kids, or grandkids in harms way. Experience listening to and feeling engines as they run has developed a sense of awareness as to trust or not trust that the engine will perform when I need it. But how many times have we all started our vehicles once and everything seemed fine and the next time… click click click?? See that’s why although it may be a clever device to save gas and minimize emissions I don’t feel comfortable with the risk. So every time I start my truck I push the button and turn the auto start/stop off. When I run a lot of errands and I am in and out of my vehicle a lot, it becomes very annoying. No, it becomes extremely annoying to have to keep pushing the button. This great country was built on the foundation of freedom of choice and Ford forcing this option on me really gets me fired up. I would probably feel differently about it if the salesman would’ve shared this little tid bit of information but he didn’t. Had I have known up front that it didn’t default to the last selection I probably wouldn’t have bought the truck. Maybe I should have researched a little deeper before I bought the truck but I didn’t and here I am. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had several new F150’s over the years and I have loved every one of them. Other than this problem, I really like the truck. One of the replies to my request for help stated my options. I appreciate the comment but I have had 9 months to meditate on my options and I am ready to act. I know I can buy a turner and disable it. I bought a Diablo Sport turner for a new Chevy I had a few years back and it stored the factory settings that could be reloaded if I ever needed to take it back in for warranty work. That worked out well and I am not opposed to doing that but I would prefer a more simple fix if possible. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I’d like to appeal to the vast majority and see if someone else has already come up with a solution. I’ve read some posts and it looks like there are quite a few smart folks on this board.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

well for those of us that like the start stop, it would drive those people nuts to have to turn it on all the time. so the only solution is a pushbutton on the dash which remembers the last button press. ie a detent with an activation led. my Honda has that for the cruise.

but... switching from a manual in your truck to an auto likely took some getting used to also.

tip...

when at a long light I frequently put my tranny in park (while engine is off) then release the brake. This keeps the vehicle off. I simply step on the brake and pull the vehicle back into drive when I see the light coming back my way and we have an automatic start once the gear shift leaves park. ( I have a console shift on my sport). This is a great feature.

tip...
there are numerous ways to cause a restart... just reach down and adjust the temperature, push the auto start stop button, cycle the tranny to tow mode, etc. course none of these will appease you. The dash button would be best. But I fear the feds will soon mandate this feature much like seatbelts, etc.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I love the auto start/stop personally. OP, not trying to be rude, but I think your fears are crossing into irrationality. There are a dozen systems on your truck that, should they malfunction at the wrong time, will put you in harm's way. You don't even think about them.

That said, isn't there a way to turn it on and off in the information screen (between the gauges?). It seems I came across that in my explorations. No idea if it carries over to the next time you drive it, though. I will try to remember to check it out.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Mr. Clean.
A quick google search found that if the truck thinks a trailer is connected it won't auto-stop. You can apparently verify this in your manual. Anyway, the post in another forum indicates that a hitch cover/brake light plugged into the 4 pin trailer connection will fool the truck into thinking a trailer is connected...
Personally on my '12, I've not had the truck recognize a trailer w/ the 4 pin connector so don't know if that is enough or not. I hope that with this information, with your experience, you can find a solution!
--Rick
The following users liked this post:
cappistonpilot (03-06-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mr clean
This great country was built on the foundation of freedom of choice and Ford forcing this option on me really gets me fired up.
not to be a weenie, but you "chose" to buy the truck that ford "forced" the option onto. you could have bought a pickup with any other engine option. if the salesman didn't educate you properly, then your issue is with him, not with ford.

you forced yourself, by your choice, to an option you don't like.

that little ecoboost has some major pep, I will say. scoots real nice.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Tomcon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Schmart is correct.
As of right now, there is no way to disable the start/stop system permanently. You have to disable it each time you get into the vehicle.
Or, like he says, get one of those trailer hitch 3rd stoplight kits that plug into the trailer connector. Either use it, or stick it up underneath the rear bumper out of the way. When the computer module reads a "trailer" is plugged in, it deactivates the start/stop.

Quick Reply: 2.7 ecoboost Auto start/stop HELP!!!