Sponsored by:

1996 5-speed v6 overheating after replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 5-speed v6 overheating after replacements

Hi,
I'm new looking for some suggestions.
I bought a used 1996 5 speed and had an overheating problem after about 18 months of no trouble. I noticed that there was only water and crap in the radiator. I took it to the shop and had them flush the system and change the oil while they were at it. The hoses were crud so we changed them too. Still, after 5 miles or so, the needle was creeping past high noon. I brought it back and the belt snapped while they tried to get it hot. They replaced the belt, the water pump (the impellers were shot), put in a new thermostat and fan clutch and of course more coolant. two weeks later I'm getting hot again after short jaunts or a few miles at speed. I don't usually drive more than 5-10 miles at a time but this is getting troublesome. If I crank the heater up, the needle drops of course but that's no way to roll in South Carolina. Also, if I engage the A/C the needle starts to creep. I've had opinions that the temp sensor is bad and someone mentioned the heating coil? The needle tends to lay there initially then jump to about the o/r in normal, depending, the oil pressure gauge also wiggles at times. I'm already several hundo into this and would love some guidance as to next steps.
Thank you in advance lads,
Mike
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Several things, the first you won't like. I own a 4.2 V6 and they are known for blown intake manifold gaskets that allow water into the combustion chamber. I just did mine in Jan. It took 10 hours and $300 parts if you do it yourself. With that said has the T-Stat been changed? That's the first thing I'd do. Has the radiator been replaced? The aluminum radiators a prone to plugging if the anti-freeze was not changed at least every 2 years or more often in the heat. Check Summit racing.com for prices.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes! Yes, a new thermostat was installed last time around. I've heard about a sniffer test, might that be the next step?

Quick Reply: 1996 5-speed v6 overheating after replacements