Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 f-150 4.9 inline 6cyl is lacking power

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 f-150 4.9 inline 6cyl is lacking power

Hello, I have a 1994 f-150 4.9 300 inline 6cyl w/manual transmission. The problem that I have is that the truck lacks power. The truck idles fine. It takes all I can do just to get it up to 55 mph. on even the slightest incline, I have to down shift. The cat converter is not plugged,has a new fuel filter. Someone mentioned that the Throttle position sensor or low fuel preassure can cause this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Old 06-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Lets start by saying welcome to the site. Some questions that might give us insite as to your problem. How many miles and what kind of major engine work has been done? Thinking of camshaft timing, that engine used metal gears and seldom went bad. Have you done a compression check? Double check the firing order. With the wrong two wires crossed that engine will be smooth as silk but running as a 4 cyl. You say the Cat is not plugged, what about the mufflers? Disconnect exhaust at engine pipe and rev it up. It will be quite noisy but should have a different throttle response. Last idea is to make sure the harmonic balancer has not slipped. This is a start with the basics. I'll step aside and let the tune guys do their thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 f-150 4.9 inline 6cyl is lacking power