General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 f150 5.0 issues with error codes EEC-IV

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1991 f150 5.0 issues with error codes EEC-IV

Using the Actron code scanner CP9015: (Has anyone run across this puzzle?)

I was never able to perform Self-Test Part 3. (This one requires a timing light to confirm advanced timing after codes are sent.) For the 1991 vehicle, unlike 1992 and later, you are not asked to remove SPOUT--but the timing never advanced 20° BTDC either way. It was clear that test 3 was skipped and Self-Test Part 4 was running--got codes for BOO, OCS, PSPS, and WOT. Hmmm. I tried starting over numerous times, clearing codes, etc.

I went ahead and performed Self-Test Part 4 by performing required actions-- BOO/OCS/PSPS/WOT--and got a clean bill of health. Sweetness, no error codes! After Test 4 finished, out of curiosity, as I still had the timing light hooked up, I checked the timing. Timing had ADVANCED A FULL 20° more than the 10° BTDC! (It's supposed to do that after test 3!) ALL IS WELL? I passed GA emissions inspection with flying colors.

Since I began this salvage operation I have benefitted greatly from everyone's participation here. I couldn't have saved this truck from myself without ya'll. I've saved $thousands thanks to f150forum. I felt this personal experience/discovery might be helpful to somebody, since it took me long over a year to figure this out.

PS: I also learned that it's TOO easy to mix up spark wires in very ingenious ways that can just about tear your exhaust manifolds off, eat up your power, and escape the detection of every expert or scanner you can find. I think it must have been running on pure truck-soul determination, despite my blunders. I suppose the truck needs a name and a paint job now. It's purring like a Ford half its age. Thanks for f150forum.com

Last edited by Chris Thomson; 06-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 1991 f150 5.0 issues with error codes EEC-IV