Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

would an f250 4x4 run better or worse than an f150 4x4 in snow?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default would an f250 4x4 run better or worse than an f150 4x4 in snow?

And would it also handle worse around corners because of the extra weight? Or better?

I know this is a dumb question, sorry. I'm moving into the mountains where one slipper, windy little road is the only way in and out. I'm nervous about driving a big, tall truck on those roads. Particularly in snow, yikes.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Milk Extraction Tech.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would do better in snow because of the extra weight there would be more friction with the pavement/packed snow for more traction. It also depends on the tires. Really wide tires just push around snow and make driving harder. Narrow(er) tires kinda slice through making life a lot easier.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody who has a cabin around us drive their diesel pickups up the there when its snowing. A lot of the reason being is they can leave the trucks running with the high idle if they stop at the savemart on the way up, or when they leave they can ride down and let it warm up for 30 or 40 minutes, and not worry. But since I bought my powerstroke, I havent had any issues running on the plowed roads, or unplowed roads like I did with my half ton. The heavier truck handles much better than the lighter truck. Also, the powerstroke has a lot more torque, so it pulls away from a stop a whole lot easier, way less tire spinning.

One thing you have ot consider though, is that depending on the condition of the motor, and what year powerstroke it is, it can be a pain to get started. I usually only see 10 degree weather where we go. I dont plug in, ever. But after the truck has sat for a week, I cycle the glowpulugs three times. When I turn it, its usually a slow turn. It has always fired, but for a good 5 minutes it lopes and chugs.

Bottom line, I would buy a diesel for the snow.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a '99 F150 4x4 that never got stuck in the upstate NY snow with a few sandbags in the bed. My dad also has an '08 powertroke 4x4 that has shown the same results with a couple sandbags in the bed, even while towing 2 bobcats in a whiteout
Old 11-20-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The weight of the diesel engine is greater than a gasser. The extra weight=better frictional traction. I ran around last year in my diesel pulling people out of the snow here in west texas. We don't get much snow so when it does we all freak out but this year all I have is the 150. We are going to Colorado next month so I will have a better comparison then for ya.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99/02 Powerstrokes would run circles around my old 08 F150.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

diesels have more traction due to extra weight, and definately more torque than a gas engine, but i would think an f150 would have better handling if your on a narrow road cuz of the tighter turning radius. i would go with a diesel
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 PM
AutoXer

If you are worried about driving on ice or snow in either truck get a dedicated set of snow tires for winter driving and drive cautiously.

Between the two options I'd go with the F150 personally, around here it gets to -20 for a few weeks every winter and even with newer diesels they are a pain to get started when they are that cold. The extra weight of the diesel would help when the snow has some depth to it, but if it's icy the extra weight equates to extra momentum to keep you going straight into the ditch instead of around the corner. Again, good tires will make much more of a difference in either situation than the truck itself.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 AM

Ive driven both, and I only trust my wife to drive my powerstroke to the cabin by herself. A diesel pickup is WAY more secure on an icy road.

Starting can be an issue, yes. But they make block heaters for a reason. My pickup sits with 2' of snow on it, in less than 20 degree temperatures, for over a week, in times. I cycle the glow plugs twice, and she fires right up.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just be sure you have a good set of tires brake pads and rotors on at all times. and if i forgot anything else you might wanna have in top notch condition so your prepared for a possible incident, with whatever truck you decide to get. i think you will be fine with either one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: would an f250 4x4 run better or worse than an f150 4x4 in snow?