Trying to decide - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Trying to decide

Old 05-31-2018, 07:45 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,069 Posts
Default Trying to decide

I have a decent offer for trading my 16 F150 Lariat 502a for a 17 F250 Lariat Stroke. It has 14K miles on it and they are selling it for 55K, giving me 37K for my truck, since I still owe roughly 10K and put 5K down, then I would be at 61K. While it is a fair price on the F250, and the trade in is what I pretty much figured on, I don't know if I will be happy going down in features since I have really taken a liking to the 360 camera, heated steering wheel and power running boards. I can always add the boards, but not the heated wheel or cameras.

The truck is super clean, and has what I would have ordered prior to getting the 502a, but I am on the fence over the price mainly due to the slight increase with maintenance and the unknown MPG. If it were to get 18 MPG, and diesel remains where it has been for quite some time, and with the price of 87 now within a few cents or higher, then I would pretty much break even with the F150 in fuel and maintenance. If it were to get lower, then that could be a problem.

If it were a Plat, I wouldn't be posting this! LOL I'm trying to decide, if I should just do it and get the hell out of that 16 POS that has been nothing but problems since literally Hour One, and live with not having the few choice items, or continue to wait. Of course I can't do a thing until I have a chat with the attorney handling the BOW case with Ford, since trading it could affect the case, and I may wind up owing the attorney instead. If I get the go ahead though......

Ultimately it will cost me more and I think even though I can afford it, its about $30 a month difference, I feel I may be better off waiting and getting something that I can get that reduces my monthly by $100 than spending more.

WWYD?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I have a decent offer for trading my 16 F150 Lariat 502a for a 17 F250 Lariat Stroke. It has 14K miles on it and they are selling it for 55K, giving me 37K for my truck, since I still owe roughly 10K and put 5K down, then I would be at 61K. While it is a fair price on the F250, and the trade in is what I pretty much figured on, I don't know if I will be happy going down in features since I have really taken a liking to the 360 camera, heated steering wheel and power running boards. I can always add the boards, but not the heated wheel or cameras.

The truck is super clean, and has what I would have ordered prior to getting the 502a, but I am on the fence over the price mainly due to the slight increase with maintenance and the unknown MPG. If it were to get 18 MPG, and diesel remains where it has been for quite some time, and with the price of 87 now within a few cents or higher, then I would pretty much break even with the F150 in fuel and maintenance. If it were to get lower, then that could be a problem.

If it were a Plat, I wouldn't be posting this! LOL I'm trying to decide, if I should just do it and get the hell out of that 16 POS that has been nothing but problems since literally Hour One, and live with not having the few choice items, or continue to wait. Of course I can't do a thing until I have a chat with the attorney handling the BOW case with Ford, since trading it could affect the case, and I may wind up owing the attorney instead. If I get the go ahead though......

Ultimately it will cost me more and I think even though I can afford it, its about $30 a month difference, I feel I may be better off waiting and getting something that I can get that reduces my monthly by $100 than spending more.

WWYD?
I can understand the feeling of being in a Lemon truck. I did the same in 2011 with a 2010 truck. I took a wash on that one too. That being said $37k for a 16 502A does not seem like a very good price. My 15 502A was $50k after discounts, I guess it all depends on what your options are.

When I traded mine, I got a 2011 Ford Edge because on the rebates available and cut my monthly payment a healthy amount. I only needed to tow a few thousand lbs at the time and I still miss it.

Part of your post mentions that payment is important and you need it to go down? And part says that you will be gaining $27k in cash? So Iím not sure what you are trying to accomplish?

On the other part...Will you miss the options? I would. I have ACC that I love and the 360 camera is nice but not a deal breaker. It all depends on what the truck is for? I have seen you post many times but I forget what you are towing. I tow less than 7k 15 times a year. So far the F-150 does what I need it to do and does it well. No sway or Payload problems. My towing frequency changes when I retire in February and something may need to change. But they question is do you need a SD? Diesel?

It all comes down to want and cost? The cost has two sides...1) is a good deal? 2) what is your financial situation?

The last time I traded a truck that I only owned $10k on, I regret it to this day. BUT it was a good truck. It would be 11 years old today and likely still in my drive way.

Sorry if this went more in depth than you were looking for. Have a good day.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,069 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I just need a sounding board on this. It's not a question of can I afford it, that I can, its more of do I really want to pay a little more than I pay right now for a truck and give up some features I know I will miss, or do I stick it out and wait. After a discussion with the attorney handling the case I need to wait a few weeks so Ford can assign an attorney and move forward with it as it is in limbo at the moment. Until then I have to hang on to it, that took care of my main question.

I am going to go one way or the other, end result is it will be replaced with a Platinum. If it will be an F150, it will be a new 18 RWD, and if a SD, then it will be a used F350. The goal on the F350 is to get one for $45K, this gives me a buffer for cost per mile as there are a few unknowns. Cost of Insurance, Cost of Maintenance and Cost of fuel.

As for type of truck, the F150 limits me in what I can upgrade to down the road when it is time to get a larger trailer, where an F350 gives me the options for a larger, longer trailer, or a 5th wheel.

There is an F350 that is exactly what I am looking for at another dealer, and the price is about where I would want it, but, I have been working with my dealer now for 17 years and they have always done good, and with all the headaches this truck has been, they have been on top of it and doing their best to get it corrected, but they can only do so much when Ford can't even tell them what's wrong. It just wouldn't be right to get a replacement elsewhere. Besides I trust their service department and it would just feel wrong bringing a truck in for service that I bought somewhere else and then I feel I would not get the same amount of service as I do now.

On the vibration issues, they had the truck in the shop 10 days trying to diagnose it, but didn't have a vibration analyzer, and I finally just asked, if they checked pinion angle. I told them it goes away when I have half a ton in the bed, so they had me load it up and brought it back so they could take measurements, sent it all to Ford and 10 days later Ford finally got back to them with a kit number for the pinion angle, and they installed them, and Finally, after 44K miles if rumbles, the vibrations are gone!

Now if they could only fix the steering, but Ford wont opt to replace the EPAS on a whim, so first chance I get to trade out, I will. I sure as heck don't want to try selling it to someone, not with me knowing the steering is wonky, let the dealer worry about that.

I have a high transportation budget mainly due to the amount of miles I drive a year, and also because if I am going to sit in a vehicle for 2 1/2 hours a day, I want to be comfortable and enjoy it. Too many years I spent driving beaters, and doing repairs, now I just want to have something nice and enjoy it while I can.

Last edited by acdii; 06-04-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to decide

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: