Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Thread insert for blow spark plug 6.8L V10 Triton

Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread insert for blow spark plug 6.8L V10 Triton

tldr; 2001 F250 SD Triton 6.8L V10, blow spark plug, identify the heads, cut the seat, ream, tap, and insert all 10 cylinders, videos and pictures http://www.techspin.info/archives/category/f250

Long Version:

I recently purchased a used 2001 F250 SD XLT Quad Cab long bed FWD. It has the Triton 6.8L V10 with the aluminum heads. I did my research before purchasing and knew about the possibility of blown spark plugs and torn out spark plug threads in the heads in the V10.

The guy I bought the truck from is a mechanic for the county and he had changed out the fluids, generally cleaned it up, and ... changed out the spark plugs. I asked about the plugs, he admitted to changing them out. Everything looked good, the truck was running fine, the new plugs should be good for another 100k, more than I would ever drive it, sounds great, done and done. I bought it.

Three, that's right 3, trips later I was pulling away from a stop sign, I heard a pop, and it sounded like there was a Harley stuck up under my hood. At first I thought maybe I'd dropped an exhaust manifold (another notorious problem with the Triton). But a quick lift of the hood and it was obvious I had a blown spark plug .

I did the internet search thing, looked at prices to get it fixed by a mechanic, about choked on that, and decided I'd figure out how to fix it myself.

What I didn't find was a lot of information on how to actually fix it. Eventually I decided to put in steel inserts and ended up using a Timesert kit and inserts. Since I didn't find as much information as I would have liked when I was trying to figure out what to do I wrote down some of the steps, took some pictures and videos, and posted them on my blog and youtube. Hopefully these vids will help the next freaked out Triton owner get his or her truck back on the road for a reasonable price.

I inserted all 10 cylinders. Everything went reasonably smoothly. I've got about a thousand miles on since getting it back on the road. So far everything is looking good. We'll see how it turns out down the road.

Check it out at

http://www.techspin.info/archives/category/f250

and

"https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJiS4tBInO3zNl4FqRzTRtHnqUEZ3t2-Z"

Last edited by coloradoclimber; 12-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Update Jan 2013: I just returned from a 1300 mile trip through the Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming Rocky Mountains. Uphill grades for 4 hours straight, downhill for 40 miles at 6 and 7 percent. I could do 70, 75, 80 mph, uphill on 6% grades for 20+ miles without slowing down. 40 miles of downhill at 6 and 7% in 3rd gear compression braking for nearly an hour. No problems detected. Engine is still running like a champ with no observed issues with any of the 10 inserts. Truck was lightly loaded, just some camping gear in the back and 4 adults and stuff in the cab. So far so good. We'll see how it goes next summer pulling a trailer around the same path.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Sorry to point this out to ya but it's 2014, lol. Glad the spark plugs are staying put
Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM

hmmm, it is indeed 2014, apparently I've been spending too much time sniffin fumes under the hood

So yeah, the update should've been Jan 2014.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thread insert for blow spark plug 6.8L V10 Triton