Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

New Superduty -First Diesel

Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default New Superduty -First Diesel

I just bought a new '16 F250 CCSB powerstroke yesterday. I wanted a larger truck to haul our travel trailer and got a really good deal on a leftover 2016 model lariat. This is my first diesel. I want to take care of it and avoid all mechanical problems I can. This will be my daily driver and used to pull the camper 1-2 times a month. For those who have owned diesels, would you mind answering a few questions?

1) Do you use standard or full synthetic oil? I typically use synthetic blend, but that doesn't seem to be an option in these trucks. I want my avoid problems, so if it costs a little up front, I'm okay with that. Don't want to waste money if not needed, though.

2) I read where the fuel filters need to be changed every 10-15,000 miles. Is that a simple do it yourself job, or worth paying someone to do it? I believe one is under the truck and the other is under the hood?

3) I live in Georgia. Will I ever use the glo plug button? No experience with this at all. The salesman at the dealership said I'd never need it here.

4) When draining the water separator, do I need to do this on my own, or will it be done with every oil change? Do I drain until empty? Is it just water, or is there fuel in it?

Sorry for the idiotic questions. This is all new to me. I'll learn, but thought this might be a good place to ask. If there is anything else I need to be aware of, information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I have a 6.0L so my lack of experience may or may not pertain to you.

I always use synthetic oil, I'm pretty sure it tells you in the manual which oil it recommends and I generally wouldn't stray far from manufacturer recommendations.

Your fuel filter is on the drivers side right next the the transfer case (assuming 4x4), then unplug the wire and there's a screw you have to undo to drain all the diesel out of it. After that, you just take it off with a 32mm socket to take off the housing, take the old filter out and put the new one in! Then you just screw everything back on and away you go.

You have a secondary fuel filter right next to the trans dipstick (under it), there are a couple lines you have to disconnect. One a quick connect thing on it so you just pull the tabs up and slide the line right off, and the other one you have to push on the sides and pull out. Once the lines are disconnected, turn the housing a quarter turn and lift up. Then just do everything in reverse order with the new one.

After the filters are done, cycle the key 6 times (wait 30 seconds in between each cycle) I would do the filters myself, looks easy enough based on the video I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v0gkksoFs

I've never heard of a glow plug button so I can't help you on that, and I've never drained a water separator.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Boats n Does

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

1. I only use the best synthetic oil I can buy, I don't care about wasting money when it comes to engine blood.

2. Yes 2 fuel filters and they are easy to change yourself. Follow the instructions precisely and you'll have no trouble. The first time takes the longest, after that you'll be able to change them in half the time.

3. There is no glow plug button, glow plugs don't have buttons. The salesman may be referring to the block heater in which case you'll probably never need it. If it is getting below 15 overnight I'll plug mine in, but that's only happened once and really isn't necessary.

4. Drain your water separator on your own every single month. Watch youtube videos to get an idea of what you should expect. Or just drain 8 oz and you'll figure it out for yourself.

5. Wait until you are almost completely out of DEF before refilling.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ThatNewWifeSmell

3. There is no glow plug button, glow plugs don't have buttons. The salesman may be referring to the block heater in which case you'll probably never need it. If it is getting below 15 overnight I'll plug mine in, but that's only happened once and really isn't necessary.
See...told you I was asking idiotic questions. The salesman told me at delivery it was a "glo plug/engine block heater button". He even said, "you live in Georgia...you'll never push it". Looking through my owner's manual and ppwk tonight, it's the exhaust brake button. I will use that. Do I just push it for any long downhill grade in the mountains with my trailer behind me?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM

I drained the water separator today, just for practice. The truck only has 440 miles on it...I know it didn't need it, just wanted to see how it worked. I also located the fuel filters. I'll watch some videos for instruction, but it looks pretty simple and straightforward.
As for oil, I used conventional until my last truck. There, I went with a synthetic blend. As long as diesels last, it seems any problems are far more expensive vs aspirated gas engines. So, I will most likely use a good synthetic oil in this one. I might just take it to the dealership and let them use the oem oil. What do you normally pay for an oil change at the dealership?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Boats n Does

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

The key to the exhaust brake is high rpms. When you're going down hill, drop the transmission a few gears and it'll slow right down. If your cruise is set, it should maintain your desired speed.

I don't know how much dealers charge for oil changes. I do mine myself.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

When starting the truck, make sure to turn the key to "on" but don't let it crank, you'll see a glow plug indicator pop up. When that turns off, start the truck.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayberry
I just bought a new '16 F250 CCSB powerstroke yesterday. I wanted a larger truck to haul our travel trailer and got a really good deal on a leftover 2016 model lariat. This is my first diesel. I want to take care of it and avoid all mechanical problems I can. This will be my daily driver and used to pull the camper 1-2 times a month. For those who have owned diesels, would you mind answering a few questions?

1) Do you use standard or full synthetic oil? I typically use synthetic blend, but that doesn't seem to be an option in these trucks. I want my avoid problems, so if it costs a little up front, I'm okay with that. Don't want to waste money if not needed, though.

2) I read where the fuel filters need to be changed every 10-15,000 miles. Is that a simple do it yourself job, or worth paying someone to do it? I believe one is under the truck and the other is under the hood?

3) I live in Georgia. Will I ever use the glo plug button? No experience with this at all. The salesman at the dealership said I'd never need it here.

4) When draining the water separator, do I need to do this on my own, or will it be done with every oil change? Do I drain until empty? Is it just water, or is there fuel in it?

Sorry for the idiotic questions. This is all new to me. I'll learn, but thought this might be a good place to ask. If there is anything else I need to be aware of, information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey Mayberry i followed your lead and picked up a leftover 16 here in Atlanta also. This truck is a huge improvement over my 2006 F150 5.4.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Haha, I agree. I'm calling this my midlife crisis truck. Everyday when I walk out and look how big it is, my inner 40 year old says that's just ridiculous. When I crank it up, my inner 18 year old giggles with glee.
The following users liked this post:
OldMansTruck (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I too bought a left over 16 in late October. Its been a great truck so far, no issues at all. One oil change at dealer was 135.00. Used Motorcraft 5w40 synthetic, its much quieter with 5w40 than it was on the 10w30 factory fill. I change every 5k figure its cheap insurance and always at the dealer. I have the 125k esp on mine so having all the records in Ford's system should save me any hassles down the road.

Search this Thread