Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Which gas engine 3/4 ton and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Which gas engine 3/4 ton and why?

The last 3/4 ton truck I bought brand new was a 1975 International Harvester 4x4 (last year they were made), so I am certainly not current on 3/4 ton trucks. If you have purchased a gas engine F250 new, did you also consider the other brands? If so, why did you select Ford? Would you wait to order a 2017 Aluminum truck or select an in-stock 2016?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't gone there yet, but anxiously waiting for the specs & pricing on the 2017's. I was planning to look for a 2016 F-150 in December, but after seeing the 2017 F-250 I decided to wait and see what an F-250 with the 6.2 will price out at for 2017. My travel trailer is pretty tongue heavy at 850 lbs, plus 3 bikes, 3 kayaks, firewood, etc... So I'm constantly trying not to overdo it on payload. If the HD package on the F-150 was available and didn't have so many limits on available options you can add, that would do the job for me. But it isn't. And in comparing an F-150 with max tow, ecoboost, tow mirrors to a similar F-250 gasser, the price isn't that much different. Downsides on the F-250 are rougher ride and lower mpg, but the higher payload and generally beefier truck is nice. The diesel would be nice but the cost isn't worth it for what I do.

I didn't give the Chevy or Dodges much of a look in the 3/4 ton. All of the brands are good trucks with pros and cons. I'm sold on the aluminum body and the new tech features on the Super Duty - until I see the price anyway. Hoping to see a 2017 in person Saturday at the auto show.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (02-10-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KMP44
Haven't gone there yet, but anxiously waiting for the specs & pricing on the 2017's. I was planning to look for a 2016 F-150 in December, but after seeing the 2017 F-250 I decided to wait and see what an F-250 with the 6.2 will price out at for 2017. My travel trailer is pretty tongue heavy at 850 lbs, plus 3 bikes, 3 kayaks, firewood, etc... So I'm constantly trying not to overdo it on payload. If the HD package on the F-150 was available and didn't have so many limits on available options you can add, that would do the job for me. But it isn't. And in comparing an F-150 with max tow, ecoboost, tow mirrors to a similar F-250 gasser, the price isn't that much different. Downsides on the F-250 are rougher ride and lower mpg, but the higher payload and generally beefier truck is nice. The diesel would be nice but the cost isn't worth it for what I do. I didn't give the Chevy or Dodges much of a look in the 3/4 ton. All of the brands are good trucks with pros and cons. I'm sold on the aluminum body and the new tech features on the Super Duty - until I see the price anyway. Hoping to see a 2017 in person Saturday at the auto show.
I'm on the same bandwagon. Been looking at 3/4 trucks for what seems like forever. I'm going crazy waiting for these 2017s to come out so I can get a good look. I'm sold on the aluminum idea as well, I hate how all my old trucks seem to rust out from under me. Also, we're talking more cab space by sharing the f150 cab, more technology, and supposedly a bump in power and towing capacity from everything I've read. So the new trucks should make all previous trucks seem way outdated.

Dodge and Chevys are good but I think they're going to pale in comparison to the new super duty until they come up with a redesign.

You can get good deals on 2016 super dutys right now, not to mention the great deals on any remaining 2015s, but I think you'll regret it when the new ones roll on the lots. Hopefully it won't be long.

P.S. OP I hope you still have the international.

Quick Reply: Which gas engine 3/4 ton and why?