Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

F 550 Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default F 550 Question

Hey all,

Have a question in regards to the potential "benefits" of a block heater on a F550 6.0L. The story is this, my VFD back home uses the F 550 with a light rescue body mounted on it and 450 gallons of water+pump obviously.

For years we used this truck as a First Responder/Booster/Light Rescue vehicle. Like most trends in Emergency services we have seen an increase in medical calls, hence, this truck is seeing more "action." With that said, it is a 2005 Model with 6.0L Diesel motor and about 8000 miles (I know right) it actually ran out of warranty with only 8000 miles on it LOL!! None the less we have had ALL the USUAL problems associated with this wonderful abomination of Fords LOL!!

In regards to the question, would having a block heater installed on this truck be useful in any form or fashion in regards to promoting longevity in the motor itself? East Texas doesn't see -0 temps, EVER, however we have our cold bouts with temps in the teens. Unfortunately, due to cost and a whole other list of "issues" when the station was built, it is not cost prohbitive to keep the station at 60+ temps. We are able to keep it at around 40, maybe up to 50 when the temps dip into the 20's.

The reason I bring this up is, the truck is an emergency vehicle, and we have noticed time and time again that it runs like absolute crap when started cold and leaving on a call. In fact, I believe the turbo doesn't even spool up until it is adequately warm, which is usually by the time we reach the call, maybe? Will a block heater be better on a motor like this, that can't necessarily be warmed up properly before going out on an emergent call?

Last edited by medicff0879; 12-28-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Was going to change the title to a 6.0L question, not a F 550 question lol!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM

Im not really asking if the temps are low enough for a block heater, but rather, would it benefit the motor and response to have it plugged in and pre-heated before responding? Particularly in the "colder" temps East Texas has?

Last edited by medicff0879; 12-28-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by medicff0879
Im not really asking if the temps are low enough for a block heater, but rather, would it benefit the motor and response to have it plugged in and pre-heated before responding? Particularly in the "colder" temps East Texas has?

Every outdoor diesel likes a block heater, It's how they start and warm up without frothing. If you like warm heat out your heater and quick response time than go for it. Have seen both block and engine oil used. Nothing wrong cept you might want to change the motor oil more often in damp cool conditions if you don't drive it much. Condensation builds up from being warm cool, hot warm cool, with a lot of cool. And some Isopropyl in the diesel of course. Just the warm emisions thing for the diesel is a win/win for everyone. The biggest problem I experienced was twin heaters and the driver driving off once a weak with out unplugen em. Didn't always tear off the wire cord but draggen did the plug no good at all. Had to keep spare heaters and short plug extensions on hand. Used mostly JD as it was easily replaceable and near by.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-28-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Papa Tiger. I can't believe we didn't even think about the idea of a block heater on this truck until 6 years of running it hard for the 8000 miles it has on it. I know that being in a station that is around 40-50 isn't SUPER COLD like them folks up north (or where I live now) but it seemed that just maybe it was a viable option to help the motor along on those colder mornings. When I was there, we tried to remember to go straight to the truck and starting it first, before putting on our gear, however, sometimes on medical calls we needed it started and out the door.

We acquired recently a 2001 Oil Field 5.4L to use as our first responder truck, because it is lighter, and gasoline, however it too has been plagued with serious problems at just 123,000 miles on the motor. Of course, it was probably rode hard and put up wet in the oil field. None the less, it is in the shop for an oil leak on a brand new refurbished engine that was recently put in.

Thanks again for the reply, seems it takes longer to get one here in the Super Duty area.

Quick Reply: F 550 Question