Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Dizzying option choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dizzying option choices

On the build your own Ford Superduty site the options are extensive and difficult to sort through without having one before, this bed liner vs that bed liner, this tow package and this tow add on, etc, any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Depends what you intend to do with the truck. Do you haul a lot or tow a lot in weight or in frequency? Or do you just want a big SD to drive around?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by whitescrew77
Depends what you intend to do with the truck. Do you haul a lot or tow a lot in weight or in frequency? Or do you just want a big SD to drive around?
Going to tow sailboats. Along with all the equipment. Over the next 10 years as my wife and I do more sailing I Plan on getting a bigger boat now trailer weight 5000lbs future trailer weight 8-12k lbs.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Ok if it is bumper pulling boats, almost any superduty can do that easily at 5000 lbs. If you go over 10k lbs. I would consider a diesel if you are going far in distance or doing it all the time. If you are just staying closer to home, then a 6.2 would fit your needs. Just my opinion.

Also watch your axle gearing. I would stay away from any truck with 3.31 gears and get a gasser with at least 3.73 if not 4.10 gears. If going for a diesel go with 3.55's.

Last edited by whitescrew77; 09-21-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

A towing package is just a good idea on any truck. If nothing else it's cheap and ensures versatility. Down the line it helps with resale value. Upfitter switches aren't very costly, but I'd advise getting them. If nothing else they are fun to play with and again, are desirable options. They also make adding accessories easier. You want to go with 4.10's for 6.2L engines and 3.55's for 6.7L engines. A spray in bed liner is the best way to protect the bed from dings and scratches. I know some people don't care about the bed, but again its a cheap way to keep the bed looking nice over the years and it can help with resale value. I abused the **** out of the bed of my 2008 F-150, and after 178,000 hard miles it still looked new. Go with the heavy duty alternator for accessories. Depending on your area, the engine block heater is worth the minimal cost increase.

4WD might be considered a necessity depending on where you live and what the climate is like. Again, it's a nice thing for resale but I don't necessarily believe it will pay for itself at any point. It's another check box in the versatility column. Beyond those options, power windows and locks I don't have any other suggestions. The other options are just fluff. I like options, but some people don't feel they are worth it.

Last edited by Spamfritter; 09-21-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
A towing package is just a good idea on any truck. If nothing else it's cheap and ensures versatility. Down the line it helps with resale value. Upfitter switches aren't very costly, but I'd advise getting them. If nothing else they are fun to play with and again, are desirable options. They also make adding accessories easier. You want to go with 4.10's for 6.2L engines and 3.55's for 6.7L engines. A spray in bed liner is the best way to protect the bed from dings and scratches. I know some people don't care about the bed, but again its a cheap way to keep the bed looking nice over the years and it can help with resale value. I abused the **** out of the bed of my 2008 F-150, and after 178,000 hard miles it still looked new. Go with the heavy duty alternator for accessories. Depending on your area, the engine block heater is worth the minimal cost increase.

4WD might be considered a necessity depending on where you live and what the climate is like. Again, it's a nice thing for resale but I don't necessarily believe it will pay for itself at any point. It's another check box in the versatility column. Beyond those options, power windows and locks I don't have any other suggestions. The other options are just fluff. I like options, but some people don't feel they are worth it.
Thank you for your suggestions. Which towing options would be a good combination as there are many including heavy duty alternator, axel etc?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mmfish
Thank you for your suggestions. Which towing options would be a good combination as there are many including heavy duty alternator, axel etc?
Essentially, all Super Duties are setup for towing. That said, you'll want to get the camper package which basically gives you F-350 overload springs and the heavier front springs. That will prevent the rear from squatting too much if you go with an F-250. If you go with an F-350 it won't be necessary. The heavy duty alternator is nice to have for accessories and in case you decide to add equipment down the line. Axle ratios depend on the engine. I generally recommend the E-locker, but if you go with a gas engine you can't get the 4.30 gears with it. I think 3.73 is the highest you can go which isn't recommended for the 6.2L engine by all accounts here on the forum. If you go with the 6.7L diesel, then you get the 3.55 E-locking rear. An E-locker is great to have. It can often get you out of stuff that you would otherwise need 4WD to handle. I'd still get it even with the 4WD. There are also various camera options for the 2017 that you can get as well. That's going to be more of an impact to the budget. If you are a novice with towing then I'd recommend them. They make life easier.

I'd also get the trailer brake controller. Its a cheap option.

Last edited by Spamfritter; 09-22-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If you do get the 6.2L Gasser then by all means get the 4.30 gears with the E-locker, this is what I have and is the correct gearing for towing. MPG will not be any worse towing with the 4.30 gears Vs the 3.73 gears, may even be better with the 4.30's.
4.10 gearing is not a option axle ratio on the 6.2L Gasser.
Depending on your needs and options will steer you into the truck you need and the packages. Just don't rush it, study the ordering page..
Add on options that you feel you want, leather or cloth, cameras everywhere or not and also you may want to see if a new 16 Superduty fits your needs as a already in stock with heavy discounted pricing.
If you order a 17, then get the Factory spray in bed liner, towing, powerscope mirrors. Look at the packages that fits your needs, be it XL, XLT, Lariat and so forth.
Options can add up the price quick so be aware of that.
Be sure to watch you payload available for the SD as well.

Last edited by SWBF150; 10-01-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SWBF150
If you do get the 6.2L Gasser then by all means get the 4.30 gears with the E-locker, this is what I have and is the correct gearing for towing. MPG will not be any worse towing with the 4.30 gears Vs the 3.73 gears, may even be better with the 4.30's.
4.10 gearing is not a option axle ratio on the 6.2L Gasser.
Depending on your needs and options will steer you into the truck you need and the packages. Just don't rush it, study the ordering page..
Add on options that you feel you want, leather or cloth, cameras everywhere or not and also you may want to see if a new 16 Superduty fits your needs as a already in stock with heavy discounted pricing.
If you order a 17, then get the Factory spray in bed liner, towing, powerscope mirrors. Look at the packages that fits your needs, be it XL, XLT, Lariat and so forth.
Options can add up the price quick so be aware of that.
Be sure to watch you payload available for the SD as well.
Thank you, it's difficult to find a spray in bed liner at the end of the model year, low cost option already mostly gone
Old 10-02-2016, 01:15 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

On a '16 SD and if it doesn't have the factory spray in bed liner, most Dealers can have it done for you before you take the SD home, just be sure they don't overcharge for it.

Quick Reply: Dizzying option choices