Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

6.0 EGR Bypass, Plug, or Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
ACC. LLC.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.0 EGR Bypass, Plug, or Delete

Hey friends, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the whole EGR bypass stuff. I know that EGR operates without problem on a stock engine, but my dad and I refuse to drive anything stock for some reason. We tuned his truck, threw a programmer on it, 5" from the turbo back (cat delete) Magnaflow exhaust, and an AEM oilless CAI and filter. Now his truck is getting warmer and seems to be drinking coolant. Also, some Diagnostics are coming up saying stuff about Fuel and Air stuff. He operates the vehicle on stock most of the time (only putting it on a higher setting when needed or wanted). We realize the 6.0 has head bolt and gasket problems, and that will be addressed soon, but we read a little about the EGR on these engines and were wondering if anyone knows anything about getting rid of it. I won't be offended if you tell me you don't like what's going on with the truck, or to burn the 6.0 to the ground and start over, or whatever your opinions may be. I'm just feeling around to see if I could get some info about it from someone who knows about it.

We read that there is a simple plug so you can still look on road legal, then there are just bypass kits (maybe some different flow set ups or something... idk) and then the full OFFROAD ONLY EGR delete with an upgraded Oil Cooler. If we do end up doing this soon, he will get new Head Bolts, gaskets, the EGR solution we choose, and an upgraded turbo setup (perhaps ball bearing with the computer programming to choke down and reduce or eliminate turbo lag).

I'll post pictures of what we do and the truck already soon.

Like I said, just some feedback would be awesome. I am new to this site so feel free to check my rides out! Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

get a delete, a egr chokes down the engine and they cause trouble. There has been some cases ofthe cooler leaking and dumping coolant into the engine. Get a delete and arp headstuds.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
ACC. LLC.

Originally Posted by bcangelo
get a delete, a egr chokes down the engine and they cause trouble. There has been some cases ofthe cooler leaking and dumping coolant into the engine. Get a delete and arp headstuds.
Cool, and thanks for a reply. Me and my dad are going to do this ASAP. I think one day I'll get it from him when he gets a new one so I'm lobbying for mods I'd want
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Her is a couple of sites to look over for ideas

http://firstcoastdieselperformance.com/
http://www.spartandieseltech.com/
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM

I have installed the EGR delete kit at work on a customers 6.0. You dont get any performance gains from it, just simply elliminating the egr cooler. And yes the coolers do tend to go bad and alow coolant into the intake, 8 times out of 10, the cooler goes bad due to headgasket failure. One thing you need to be aware of when installing the kit, If you 6.0 is equipped with a MAF you will need to get a programmer for it. I dont remember if you need a custom made one or not. But if you dont, then the computer with sense the lack of egr flow and toss a check engine light. Now if you dont have a MAF then your in the clear. If your going to be doing the headgaskets your self, then yea throw a set of ARP headstuds in it. And while its torn apart re-condition your turbo. Those unison rings tend to rust and bind up. Have Fun!!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
ACC. LLC.

Originally Posted by OkieJoe86
I have installed the EGR delete kit at work on a customers 6.0. You dont get any performance gains from it, just simply elliminating the egr cooler. And yes the coolers do tend to go bad and alow coolant into the intake, 8 times out of 10, the cooler goes bad due to headgasket failure. One thing you need to be aware of when installing the kit, If you 6.0 is equipped with a MAF you will need to get a programmer for it. I dont remember if you need a custom made one or not. But if you dont, then the computer with sense the lack of egr flow and toss a check engine light. Now if you dont have a MAF then your in the clear. If your going to be doing the headgaskets your self, then yea throw a set of ARP headstuds in it. And while its torn apart re-condition your turbo. Those unison rings tend to rust and bind up. Have Fun!!
Thanks! I'm pretty sure we will do all of that this summer. My dad wants to hold off on the truck mods for a lil cause he is building a house and just bought a Polaris RANGER. Plus taxes and all that mess. A month or two and we will have a better running 6.0 with ARP head studs, a built turbo, EGR delete and a **** ton of pictures. Thanks again guys this was really good and concise advice and I appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM

enjoy

Quick Reply: 6.0 EGR Bypass, Plug, or Delete