Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

6.0 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6.0 diesel

What do you all think about the 6.0 diesel? I am new to them I am buying one here in a. Couple of weeks.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

There is a LOT to know, and let me reiterate, A LOT to know about the 6.0, two of the most important things being: you absolutely CANNOT skip maintenance and, if you are on a tight budget, the 6.0. (Or any diesel for that matter) is not for you.

Check out Powerstroke.org, Powerstroke Army, both of those are good forums, PowerstrokeHelp on YouTube is a very good source of info too.

Research research research!!!!! Google common 6.0 problems(head gaskets, failed EGR coolers/valves etc)

The 6.0 is a fantastic platform. I love driving them and working on them, but they do have shortcoming's that have to be dealt with.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Back in 04 when they were 1st hitting the dealers I hadn't much chance to learn about them as I am 7.3 PSD certified, but from what I learned from the 7.3 is if you buy one you better be using it to make $$$ because even a simple oil change is going to ding the wallet. I think that probably applies to all Ford diesel trucks.

One of the things I learned about the 6.0 that stuck in memory is the method of changing the FEAD belt, what a fuster cluck.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank u guess I got some thinking to do
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

A lot of people don't like them but I do personally.

Zoodad Mod
CCV Mod
EGR Delete
4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Tune
Fords Updated Blue FPR Spring
And stay ontop your oil changes. A cetane booster is great as well as a product called Rev X is great to line injectors.
I'd also suggest a new Radiator Cap they don't hold the pressure they should after time causing over hearing issues.
A good coolant flush is also a great idea

Other than that I think you will be fine. It sounds like a lot of money but you can do everything above for around 1K.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my '06 FX4 6.0 to buy my 10' FX2 5.4 for costs reasons. They are expensive to upkeep ($150 oil changes) but worth it if you tow or haul stuff. If it's just a commuter, get a gas F150. The 6.0 is an excellent engine. Just like it was discussed earlier, MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE! Valvoline blue synthetic oil works the best (expensive ****). Use REV X during each fill up (keeps injectors quiet/lubed). And make sure you keep the EGR valve clean since it gets gunked up. If you maintain this engine, it'll last forever but you have to ask yourself, do you need a truck like this or just want one?

Quick Reply: 6.0 diesel