Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
What is your dealer's/service shops policy on dash cams, etc? >

What is your dealer's/service shops policy on dash cams, etc?

Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

What is your dealer's/service shops policy on dash cams, etc?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What is your dealer's/service shops policy on dash cams, etc?

Just saw an article in our local news where an owner was complaining about a technician who turned of his dash cam while performing service work on his vehicle. Further the technician accessed the device and deleted what was recorded in the shop prior to discovering the device was on.

Article at : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...wice-1.4973924

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM
ford dealer parts guy

Received 1,034 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Just saw an article in our local news where an owner was complaining about a technician who turned of his dash cam while performing service work on his vehicle. Further the technician accessed the device and deleted what was recorded in the shop prior to discovering the device was on.

Article at : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...wice-1.4973924

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this.
that absolutely would not fly here(what the tech did). there would be serious repercussions
Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Fleet Technician

Received 4,716 Likes on 3,677 Posts

Dash cams were not the norm to be in anyone's vehicles back when I was working in the private sector but if they had been. I wouldn't have touched it out of respect to the owner. For that tech to turn it off is one thing but to go so far as deleting files?

How do they know I hadn't saved video from a previous accident that I needed, to show innocence or guilt for that event? I'd press charges for damages if it was my truck and my cams.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's an interesting story as the situation of operating dash cams in vehicles brought in for service and the disabling of same without permission by shops could be interpreted as a privacy invasion issue for the owner and the shop/technician alike.
The best viewpoint I have seen so far is that any shop has the right to turn away any customer who refuses to disable recording while the vehicle is in their shop and any owner has the choice to take their vehicle elsewhere if that is the policy.

I predict we will see more about this as the technology becomes more commonplace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your dealer's/service shops policy on dash cams, etc?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: