Weekend Car - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

Weekend Car

Old 01-01-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Weekend Car

Throwing around the idea of maybe getting a project/weekend car in the next few months.
anybody have any insight on what kind of car to look for that would be fun but not too expensive to "build"?
I've had a modded STi in the past but they arent the cheapest thing to mod or buy and Im leaning more towards something rwd if possible anyways.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 PM

I'm pretty much a Ford die-hard, and I like the looks of the resurrected throwback Mustang, but they aren't that comfortable to stay in for any length of time, and they aren't easy to get in and out of for some of us. So lately I've been thinking it would be fun to build an F150 to play with instead of a Mustang.
I'm thinking Reg Cab Short Bed, RCSB. 2wd or 4wd as your preference dictates. I would lower it just slightly and throw some stock 20's on it. Depending on your budget you can throw some power adders at it, or not. Definitely add a rear sway bar, maybe upgrade the front sway bar, better shocks, hard top tonneau........
and the list goes on.
Suspension, engine and all kinds of options are readily available for America's favorite truck. So choose the body style that you like and "Cut Her Loose".

my $.02
Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM

A Civic or Mustang are probably two of the cars with the largest aftermarket support. I'd think that would translate into some cheaper parts options. But nothing is really cheap when it comes to a project vehicle.

If it were me, I've always had a soft spot for the 240sx. I had a IS300 for several years too, always wanted to build it but never really had the time or funds.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:18 AM

What do you want to do with it? If your into road racing or time trials miats are cheap and can handle. Im hoping to start a miata based exocet this summer or fall. not the fastest in a straight line (unless you put an LSA in it or something lol) but they can get around corners and the aftermarket is decent on them.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 AM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by frosty19 View Post
Throwing around the idea of maybe getting a project/weekend car in the next few months.
anybody have any insight on what kind of car to look for that would be fun but not too expensive to "build"?
I've had a modded STi in the past but they arent the cheapest thing to mod or buy and Im leaning more towards something rwd if possible anyways.
you can pick up older mustangs (mid 90s) pretty cheap. 94 and 95 still had the 5.0 and aftermarket support is huge for them
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 PM

Mustang was near the top of the list for me so far and seems like a common answer here also. I'm just picky on what body styles I like of them as they are hit and miss personally. Any particular engine to avoid?
An older truck would be nice to start on but good luck finding one of those up here that's not rusted out or asking as much as a truck 40 years newer than it.

I'll be mostly just using it to cruise around town, no specific racing or track application. I miss driving a quicker car sometimes but am not ready to jump back to a car only yet.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:25 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by frosty19 View Post
Mustang was near the top of the list for me so far and seems like a common answer here also. I'm just picky on what body styles I like of them as they are hit and miss personally. Any particular engine to avoid?
An older truck would be nice to start on but good luck finding one of those up here that's not rusted out or asking as much as a truck 40 years newer than it.

I'll be mostly just using it to cruise around town, no specific racing or track application. I miss driving a quicker car sometimes but am not ready to jump back to a car only yet.
they were all pretty solid
Old 01-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Iím a Challenger guy. You can pick up a used RT or an older SRT for around 20k. I also like Mustangs and used ones seem reasonably priced.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:53 PM

I would prefer something less common, like a Falcon. The later ones 1966-70 in a two-door, with a 260, 289 or 302 V8 would be a fun project to work on. If you can find one, they will be much cheaper than a Mustang.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Stiff member

I will be selling a '68 Falcon wagon, let me know if you are interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weekend Car

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: