Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

New Ranger...4 Banger EB Only! / Ranger Anyone?

Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 AM
TOTM Sept. '18

Liked 1,449 Times in 981 Posts
Default New Ranger...4 Banger EB Only! / Ranger Anyone?

Moderator Note: Combined the two Ranger threads.

TFL has released a video with some real details on the new Ranger...Biggest let down to me is 2.3L 4 banger EB and steel body.

Now I'm sure glad I ordered F150 5.0

Car and Driver has released an article also.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fo...-for-2019-news

Mike

Last edited by SPOAT; 03-29-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Combine Threads
Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Gone Golfin

Liked 1,209 Times in 829 Posts

Personally I'm really disappointed in most every aspect of the truck starting with the looks.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Senile member

Liked 506 Times in 367 Posts

Why is the 2.3EB a letdown? Have you ever driven a vehicle with the 2.3EB? It's very well suited to a peppy, torquey driving style. It'll make plenty of power with plenty of headroom in the ranger and still get decent mpg. Not sure what motor you expected them to use given their propensity for lower displacement turbocharged engines over the past several years.

They finally went with the more global platform styling.

I wish Toyota and Nissan would do the same thing and bring their global trucks/engines/designs here. New Tacoma is garbage compared to it's overseas counterpart...and the frontier is about 10 years late for a redo.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Save the Manuals!

Liked 222 Times in 142 Posts

If this was available 5 years ago I would have bought one. I don't think I could go back down to a Ranger from an F150 now.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 AM

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

I don’t think it’s too bad and it’s not supposed to be a power horse like the F150. The engine could certainly make enough power if tuned to do so by Ford. Towing a lot of weight is probably not on the radar of anyone in the market for a smaller truck. I will have to say though that I don’t like the front of it very much. Still, glad Ford brought it back
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts

Not too bad. Plenty enough engine. Though he didn't say what the truck would weigh. I do wish he would have showed the ex cab.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Liked 72 Times in 60 Posts

For the first year model, it only makes sense to have a single engine option. Demand may dictate changes to that idea, but it wouldn't make sense for them to produce a bunch of variations if the demand isn't there.

As far as the styling, considering the competition, I think it hits the mark just fine. I highly doubt they expect a lot of converts from the F150 crowd. This is an effort to capture sales from Toyota and GMC.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Liked 120 Times in 106 Posts

I like the idea of the Ranger coming back. Don't like just one drive train choice. Maybe that will change in future models with an option? But the front end looks more Toyota-ish to me.. If you remove the blue oval and ask anyone who isn't a car/truck guy what it is, they'll probably say Toyota. That's what hit me when I first saw it. But overall I think it should be nice....
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Sociopath Truckdriver

Liked 2,602 Times in 2,125 Posts

Well there went my fantasy truck. Was hoping for a 5.0 or 3.5 in their current tune, ya, I know, maybe just a wet dream.
It doesn't look too bad though, fairly typical looks of all the new trucks, not fugly, just not good looking. I'd like to see it person though, I could change my mind. Maybe.
Thanks for the find OCMike.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Liked 215 Times in 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
I like the idea of the Ranger coming back. Don't like just one drive train choice. Maybe that will change in future models with an option? But the front end looks more Toyota-ish to me.. If you remove the blue oval and ask anyone who isn't a car/truck guy what it is, they'll probably say Toyota. That's what hit me when I first saw it. But overall I think it should be nice....
Yeah, Toyota front end look-a-like was what came to mind when I saw it as well. Also at a distance and at certain angles, the front also reminds me of a...Chevy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ranger...4 Banger EB Only! / Ranger Anyone?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: