Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

How does this scam work?

Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How does this scam work?

I have some tires for sale on craigslist. Got a text 5 minutes after posting them.

How does this scam work. I got another text from a 5 digit number with some sort of google code in it that I'm not supposed to share with anyone. No doubt it's a scam, I just don't know how it works.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:59 PM
music man

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

Seems like they are trying to gain access to your phone and info.

The broken/poor English is a giveaway to me.

I believe you answered appropriately.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 3,071 Likes on 1,937 Posts

You should not be responding. Block the number.

Never have Craigslist customers come to your home.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk View Post
You should not be responding. Block the number.

Well recently I negotiated a price on an item for sale, and then drove quite a ways to meet for the sale. Then the buyer said he's changed his mind and only wants to give x amount instead of the original y amount, knowing I'll probably take the cash because of the distance traveled.

I have folks come to the house all the time when selling something, and carry a weapon while I'm in contact with them. I also make them send me a picture of their drivers license beforehand in many instances and then forward that picture to my wife.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Here it is How does this scam work?-photo903.jpg
Attached Thumbnails How does this scam work?-photo139.jpg  

Last edited by Tejasandre; 12-20-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Fleet Technician

Received 4,716 Likes on 3,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk View Post
Bit on the paranoid side ehh? While it's good to be prepared for anything that right there is just out there. It's probably the safest place to be as you're on home turf and another is less likely to take a chance by having someone hanging out around a corner or in the bushes to jump you.

Bought my boat on Craigslist and met the person at their home to make the transaction. Nothing unusual but I do carry my gun every where so I wasn't real concerned. Same thing when I bought a motorcycle out of state, met them at their house to do the deal.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 148 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
Bit on the paranoid side ehh? While it's good to be prepared for anything that right there is just out there. It's probably the safest place to be as you're on home turf and another is less likely to take a chance by having someone hanging out around a corner or in the bushes to jump you.

Bought my boat on Craigslist and met the person at their home to make the transaction. Nothing unusual but I do carry my gun every where so I wasn't real concerned. Same thing when I bought a motorcycle out of state, met them at their house to do the deal.
same here. Sold our car and they picked up at the house. Everyone said I was nuts.

Helloooooo my address is on the title.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
Yes they sent a code in a separate text, but I didn't respond with the code and blocked their number as suggested.

Another one wants to send me a check for $100 more than I'm asking and will pick the tires up when the check clears. I'm not sure how that one works either but I also blocked his number.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Fallen Angel

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

yeah that 100$ extra is so not only do you give them cash and the items but then the checks no good and you are out 100$ and the items

had someone tell me they would pay me for the table and the shipping that they would send movers to pick up the table but I had to pay for them with the extra money they were sending.. Yah sorry no go.. I was laughing at them like really you want me to trust you on that .. GFY!...
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 3,071 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post

Paranoid, no? Guess you haven't heard about Craigslist Safe Zones? Established by police departments all over the country to allow safe transactions. I have sold in excess of $30,000 via Craigslist in the last four years. Here are some guidelines.

1) Never put your phone number in a CL ad. Use Craigslist's confidential email. Make sure that the email address you use for that email exchange doesn't have your name as part of it. For example, people setup an email address as John Smith J[email protected], and while CL will hide the [email protected], they won't hide the John Smith part. Use an email address unique for CL, and set it up without your name in it.

2) Never meet at your house. NEVER. Meet a CL safe zone. If it's a transaction where the item is too big to easily transport, at the CL safe zone get the person on camera, inspect and photo their driver's license, send a copy of it to a friend/relative, and THEN lead them to your house where the item is ideally in a garage so they aren't actually in your house.

3) Never give your full name out. If you sell a car (I've sold four via CL), meet them at the safe zone. Only when the transaction is happening do they need to know your name (because it's on the title). Do the transaction at their bank, with the teller handing you the cashier's check. Or, if a low amount (I sold a $2,500 car), take cash, $20 bills or smaller.

4) If you need to communicate by phone or text, use a Google Voice number. You can easily block them, and they cannot look it up.

2016 article from Washington Post - Think twice before answering that ad: 101 murders have been linked to Craigslist

https://www.today.com/money/police-c...oing-bad-t3636

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does this scam work?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: