Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

explorers broken into

Old 12-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Liked 59 Times in 50 Posts
Default explorers broken into

My wife's '17 limited explorer, and my daughter in law's '16 xlt explorer were broken into last night at Chik-fil-a. Not that that's weird or anything, but the driver's side door on my wife's was open and the lift gate on my daughter in law's was open with no sign of being forced or jimmied or anything....and the factory alarms were silent. They must have scared them off as nothing was missing, but the question is....how did they break into the cars without breaking anything, and why weren't the alarms going off? Both cars have just whatever is installed at the factory for alarms. Also my daughter in law said all the other doors were still locked, just the lift gate was open. There's no physical damage on either car. Is there some electronic device being used? Was the Bluetooth hijacked or something?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 AM
music man

Liked 164 Times in 132 Posts

There is a device that thieves are using that can "capture" the code when the doors are locked via key fob.

Whenever I am in a parking lot I always use the lock button on the door panel.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pigman67 View Post
There is a device that thieves are using that can "capture" the code when the doors are locked via key fob.

Whenever I am in a parking lot I always use the lock button on the door panel.
they locked the cars with the exterior button on the door handle that the push button start cars have
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts

This is the inherent flaw with keyless access system where the key can stay in your pocket. They used a signal booster which boosted the signal of the key from inside the restaurant so that the car could recieve it and then unlock the doors or hatch as it may be. The only way to prevent this from happening is to store the key in a faraday cage to prevent the signal from getting out or just purchase a car that does not have this flawed 'feature'
Old 12-28-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Missmy06 View Post
This is the inherent flaw with keyless access system where the key can stay in your pocket. They used a signal booster which boosted the signal of the key from inside the restaurant so that the car could recieve it and then unlock the doors or hatch as it may be. The only way to prevent this from happening is to store the key in a faraday cage to prevent the signal from getting out or just purchase a car that does not have this flawed 'feature'
well that sucks

That completely renders the convenience of the push start to useless. So now we have the explorer with the ford navigation that sucks, and the push button start that's a security liability.

we should have kept our base model '13 explorer

Last edited by rojizostang; 12-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: explorers broken into

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: