Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

Dog adoption gone wrong.

 
Old 11-22-2018, 09:00 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 157
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Wow! Sorry you were hurt, but thankfully your kids weren’t there to see it...or worse. There should definitely be some follow up on this.
Jfkmk is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:05 AM
  #12  
Sociopath Truckdriver
 
johnday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Barton City Michigan
Posts: 16,140
Liked 2,606 Times in 2,127 Posts
Default

Dog bites hurt like hell. I got my right arm/hand chewed up and punctured by a Malamute years ago. Still have the scars from that.
Anyway, is this rescue tied to your local humane society? Mine recommends a dog in foster care, the prospective owner should go to the foster home and check things out, then the fostering people bring the dog to your house.
If this is a private rescue organization you're dealing with, I think I'd be checking with your local humane society and county animal control, and let them know what happened.
Some one from that rescue should have been in touch with you ASAP. Sounds either poorly run or shady.
Just out of curiosity, how much were they charging you for adoption?
johnday is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: W.Texas
Posts: 86
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Sorry to say but that dog should be put down . With your damage which the lady should pay your medical bills is responsible for all doctor visits also . Once a dog starts that type behavior and taste blood triggers a behavior that will always be there . Hopefully the hospital filed a report ??
RonXLTF150 is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 11:42 AM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Dr3w22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Dog bites hurt like hell. I got my right arm/hand chewed up and punctured by a Malamute years ago. Still have the scars from that.
Anyway, is this rescue tied to your local humane society? Mine recommends a dog in foster care, the prospective owner should go to the foster home and check things out, then the fostering people bring the dog to your house.
If this is a private rescue organization you're dealing with, I think I'd be checking with your local humane society and county animal control, and let them know what happened.
Some one from that rescue should have been in touch with you ASAP. Sounds either poorly run or shady.
Just out of curiosity, how much were they charging you for adoption?
She told me the adoption fee was 150$

Yes, now that I think about it it does seem shady. The foster and the rescue are almost 4 hrs from each other. Unfortunate I just found the dog on petfinder. I definitely should have gone there first. They make you fill out an application but Iím sure itís just to stay compliant. They didnít seem a bit interested in checking my references or the vet we would go to.
Dr3w22 is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 12:04 PM
  #15  
Sociopath Truckdriver
 
johnday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Barton City Michigan
Posts: 16,140
Liked 2,606 Times in 2,127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dr3w22 View Post


She told me the adoption fee was 150$

Yes, now that I think about it it does seem shady. The foster and the rescue are almost 4 hrs from each other. Unfortunate I just found the dog on petfinder. I definitely should have gone there first. They make you fill out an application but Iím sure itís just to stay compliant. They didnít seem a bit interested in checking my references or the vet we would go to.
$150 is reasonable, I've seen them from $300-$500, depending on the outfit and where they are. It's not uncommon for a dog to be many miles away, or even cross country when dealing with these organizations. I went on petfinder myself, and still found my furface at the local shelter. My fee was only $75, including chip, neuter/spay, and first series of vaccinations. They were the local humane society, so my costs were lower.
Seamus and I had a one on one right when I got out of the truck. They have around a 100'X100' fenced in area we had to ourselves. They were a little picky, this guy had gone to 2 homes previous, and was returned. He's a BorderHeeler, and I can't help but think his cuteness was why he went to those previous. This time the humane society made sure he went to someone that had experience with these dogs. He's my 3rd one, so I really fit the requirements. The shelter even called me last week to see how things were going.
Hope it works out for you, dogs are the most wonderful people around, I can't understand people that don't think the same. They don't know what they're missing.


johnday is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 12:12 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OR
Posts: 1,573
Liked 190 Times in 159 Posts
Default

As some one who works in this field, there were a few things that could have been done to prevent this.
One was to check if the dog was okay with Males. As a female I often get hired because many dogs have issues with Males. This would have been the shelters responsibility, but it can be overlooked.
Prior to you introducing yourself the lady should have walked him around for 10 minutes. Some dogs don't ride well, energy builds up, it's a new place and they have no clue what's going on.
Once the dog had settled, you should have just walked with them and let the dog come to you. Even a slow moving hand can be seen as a threat. Especially when its looming above.
I am glad to hear you're okay and am absolutely not blaming you, the lady or even the dog. Just offering up my thoughts and suggestions.
If and when it does come time for a new furry family member to meet the kids, make sure it's with a chain link fence in between or let the dog see the kids running, playing, even being loud for 10-15 minutes.
Conditioning is key.
Best of luck on your adoption search!


FerdinandF150 is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
  #17  
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Big Easy
Posts: 22,589
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,526 Posts
Default

Hasn't been stated yet but you should prey that dogs shots are up to date. You could wind up with rabies. I'd sue the hell out of them for medical bills and maybe even pain and suffering if they don't offer to take care of it.
.
Rnlcomp is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 12:17 PM
  #18  
I can't help it
iTrader: (3)
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bullet City NW Burbs
Posts: 23,066
Liked 1,078 Times in 787 Posts
Default

Ouch, maybe I've been out of the loop or missed it. Did the dog have rabies shot? I thought if it's unknown the human needs a crap load of shots or they need to put the dog down for testing?
Dave is online now  
Old 11-22-2018, 12:24 PM
  #19  
Sociopath Truckdriver
 
johnday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Barton City Michigan
Posts: 16,140
Liked 2,606 Times in 2,127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FerdinandF150 View Post
As some one who works in this field, there were a few things that could have been done to prevent this.
One was to check if the dog was okay with Males. As a female I often get hired because many dogs have issues with Males. This would have been the shelters responsibility, but it can be overlooked.
Prior to you introducing yourself the lady should have walked him around for 10 minutes. Some dogs don't ride well, energy builds up, it's a new place and they have no clue what's going on.
Once the dog had settled, you should have just walked with them and let the dog come to you. Even a slow moving hand can be seen as a threat. Especially when its looming above.
I am glad to hear you're okay and am absolutely not blaming you, the lady or even the dog. Just offering up my thoughts and suggestions.
If and when it does come time for a new furry family member to meet the kids, make sure it's with a chain link fence in between or let the dog see the kids running, playing, even being loud for 10-15 minutes.
Conditioning is key.
Best of luck on your adoption search!
Good advice right there. When ever I meet a new dog, anywhere, I'll crouch down, and only extend my hand out about half way, and let them come to me. Situations are different, but the key there is not to let the dog feel threatened. I've even done that with hybrids, and it worked well. Of course, I likely was more intimidated than the animal, a 75% wolf/25% Malamute, can be quite an impressive animal.

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
Hasn't been stated yet but you should prey that dogs shots are up to date. You could wind up with rabies. I'd sue the hell out of them for medical bills and maybe even pain and suffering if they don't offer to take care of it.
.
Let's hope that isn't the case. It shouldn't be, but you never know.
johnday is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 12:41 PM
  #20  
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Big Easy
Posts: 22,589
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,526 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Let's hope that isn't the case. It shouldn't be, but you never know.
Considering they lied about everything else It wouldn't surprise me. In any event leaving it left undiscovered could be deadly. They need to find that dog ASAP. My mom went thru the series of rabies shots when she was younger just to prevent the possibility of her contracting it. Rabies is fatal if we get it.

Apparently they couldn't find the animal so that was the only recourse.
.
Rnlcomp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dog adoption gone wrong.


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: