Dog adoption gone wrong. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

Dog adoption gone wrong.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 AM

Default Dog adoption gone wrong.

So for the last 3 days Iíve been in contact with a rescue about a dog for adoption. He was advertised as a chill young boy who loved water and is amazing with kids.

I fell in love with him. He was a beautiful dog and since we go to the beach 1-2 times a week I wanted a dog that loved the water as much as I do and possibly teach to ride on a surf paddle surfboard with me.

The rescue organizer put me in contact with the lady fostering the dog. She again said he was an awesome dog and great with all sorts of kids and dogs and loved the water. We made arrangements for her to come do a home check and to meet the dog.

She drive approx 2 hours today to show us the dog. While they where driving she told me that she put him around another boxer and said he was great with him then told me they had him around a 3 year old and loved the child. Then states that made me feel better which I found a little concerning. Anyway around 1:40 they pull into the drive. She jumps and and quickly grabs the dog out.

He seems pretty calm at this point he steps up to me and sniffs the back of my hand then all of a sudden. BAM! He latches on my hand like a vice grip with dull points. Iíve never felt a feeling like this before. He begins to tug my and and tries to start shaking but my hand came out of his mouth. He then wanted to come back at me but they had him on a leash.

The lady this point was in shock and states. ďWell this isnít going to work.Ē The get him back in the car. She keeps saying he has never done anything like this before. I was in such shock and pain I didnít know what to say. I told her sorry for your drive but I have to go take care of this as my hand was dripping blood. Walking back to my front door the pain really set in and I got nauseated and felt tunnel vision then passed out. They were gone by the time I came too.

My mom came over and I went to the hospital I worked at and got checked out. Luckily it was just flesh wounds but I was traumatized. I texted them and said I want to come out and meet the dog before I let him meet the kids. THANK GOD. Had my son seen this or it had been one of my children it would have been so much worse. Iím so angry at myself still for putting my kids in this possible bad situation because what if he had not attacked off the bat.

My daughter is 3 almost 4 and autistic and she wouldnít know better. I just thank god it was me and not them. I donít believe for a second he hasnít done something like this before. After the incident not one text or email from the rescue center or the foster taking care of the dog to see if Iím ok or what not.

Anyway sorry for for the long story but my hand hurts like a **** but luckily nothing was broke but Iím having trouble with my 4th and 5th digit fingers. Other then that he just ruined my fav pair of jeans due to all the blood lol.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:19 AM

Old 11-22-2018, 01:22 AM

Old 11-22-2018, 01:26 AM

Ouch! I guess it was good the dog failed the interview without a child being harmed.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by DaNinja View Post
Ouch! I guess it was good the dog failed the interview without a child being harmed.
yes, for sure.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:12 AM

In my opinion, that when way more than wrong.

Not sure what breed of dog, but that is not normal behavior for a dog, especially not for one being put up for adoption. That is extremely aggressive for a dog.

They should have been in contact with you after the incident. They also should not be putting that dog up for adoption in a home with Children, and if with an adult, then it should be noted as an aggressive dog.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:43 AM

That dog absolutely has shown that behavior before. The fact this "rescue" woman can't recognize it or admit it when it happens is a problem for every dog she comes in contact with and every potential adopter that comes to their organization as you so unfortunately found out. It's been my experience that the overwhelming majority of people, even "dog" people don't recognize **** when it comes to their animals. Fear from confused, excitement from aggressions/confusion/ over food, resources, people territory etc. They don't know how to recognize confidence, a dog that shows understanding, a dog that is calm and stable just because it's frozen and doesn't know what else to do . Lots and lots of well intentioned people, but most of them ignorant as all get out when it comes to dogs and behavior.

Or they're not a real rescue and are dog re-sellers playing off people's emotions to help them part with a 3-500 dollar "adoption" fee to put in their pocket.

I'd absolutely file a report, I'd be in contact with that rescue and I'd make sure that dog doesn't go to another family. Too many good ones out there to be wasting time with ones with screws loose.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 AM

Iím all about rescues.

But unless it was a dog I already knew, no way would I get a rescue and have it around my child.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave View Post
In my opinion, that when way more than wrong.

Not sure what breed of dog, but that is not normal behavior for a dog, especially not for one being put up for adoption. That is extremely aggressive for a dog.

They should have been in contact with you after the incident. They also should not be putting that dog up for adoption in a home with Children, and if with an adult, then it should be noted as an aggressive dog.
Thats what Iím worried about most is there either going to try and hide the dog or foster him out before they can find him

i dont want anyone else to go through this. Had it been a childís hand I k is it would have been way worse.

Unfortunatley I made a huge mistake trying to adopt a pit mix or full breed. I had one that I raised from a puppy and he was the best dog ever. I really put a lot of guilt on myself for making such a foolish decision with an animal that has a wrap for doing these type of things. Lesson learned the hard way and thank god it wasnít my childís face.

I will definitely be getting in contact with the organization and sending them my medical bill. I just hope animal control can track it down before it happens again.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by wiread View Post
That dog absolutely has shown that behavior before. The fact this "rescue" woman can't recognize it or admit it when it happens is a problem for every dog she comes in contact with and every potential adopter that comes to their organization as you so unfortunately found out. It's been my experience that the overwhelming majority of people, even "dog" people don't recognize **** when it comes to their animals. Fear from confused, excitement from aggressions/confusion/ over food, resources, people territory etc. They don't know how to recognize confidence, a dog that shows understanding, a dog that is calm and stable just because it's frozen and doesn't know what else to do . Lots and lots of well intentioned people, but most of them ignorant as all get out when it comes to dogs and behavior.

Or they're not a real rescue and are dog re-sellers playing off people's emotions to help them part with a 3-500 dollar "adoption" fee to put in their pocket.

I'd absolutely file a report, I'd be in contact with that rescue and I'd make sure that dog doesn't go to another family. Too many good ones out there to be wasting time with ones with screws loose.
i agree to many animals are treated like humans and not what they are. All signs are overlooked or ignored. Personally I feel I was just flat out lied to. I think they wanted this dog adopted out asap and I was the next person asking about him.... who knows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dog adoption gone wrong.

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: