Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

compact car selection

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default compact car selection

Ok, I've narrowed my daily driver search down to three compacts. These are all in the same price range, same trim (meaning the base trim) same lease range, same size range, etc. Here's the three that made the top of the list, in no particular order because I haven't figured that out yet:
Subaru Impreza 4-door automatic (5 door is ok too, but more expensive)
Mazda 3 5-door automatic (better rebates than 4 door)
Toyota Carolla 4-door automatic (hatch is totally different model)

Here's what I've ruled out for one of two reasons...either the resale value is junk, or the seat doesn't fit me correctly for my body style:
Honda Civic
Kia Forte
Hyundai Accent and Elantra
Ford Focus

I did not consider any GM products because GM is unworthy and Chrysler has no compact cars.

So here's my take on the top three. The mazda was impressive and the most fun to drive. Has the largest infotainment screen, and has the console control wheel unique to these three. My biggest concern is reliability because I know nothing about Mazdas and the closest dealership is 50 miles from my house. The Impreza was good and solid feeling. Biggest issue was my right knee pressing against the center console. Not sure yet if it's something I'd get used to or something that would be a problem. But it also is the only one with carplay and awd. Corolla had the most comfortable seat and had pretty much all safety tech as standard (dynamic cruise, lane keep, forward collision, LED headlights). It has the worst infotainment system though.

I'm going to have to think about all these things but if anyone has any insight or suggestions, feel free.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 190 Likes on 159 Posts

I myself am an Impreza fan, but because I don't like to spend heaps on my cars I ended up with a Kia Forte. I think a large factor to me in purchasing any vehicle is similar to yours: ride comfort because I am in the car a lot. Reliability, again I am on the go a lot for work. Dealership location, for parts, recalls and if the vehicle is newer free services. Re-sale value is low on my list of decision factors, instead I just make sure to keep up services, repair things when broken and in doing that my re-sale value will be the most it can be.
Maybe check out a Mazda forum, it seems you're leaning that way.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a part-time gig at a wholesale auto auction and drive a lot of used cars. The three you have landed on all seem to hold up well given reasonably good maintenance.
The Subaru is of course all-wheel drive if that is important to you but the interiors seem to deteriorate faster than most. Lower end Toyotas seem to have lost their way in terms of the quality they were known for back in the day.
Mazda would be my choice. Fun to drive is important to me. The key, as with any car, is maintenance. Looking ahead a few years, a cheap car well maintained is far better than an expensive car badly maintained.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by FerdinandF150 View Post
I myself am an Impreza fan, but because I don't like to spend heaps on my cars I ended up with a Kia Forte. I think a large factor to me in purchasing any vehicle is similar to yours: ride comfort because I am in the car a lot. Reliability, again I am on the go a lot for work. Dealership location, for parts, recalls and if the vehicle is newer free services. Re-sale value is low on my list of decision factors, instead I just make sure to keep up services, repair things when broken and in doing that my re-sale value will be the most it can be.
Maybe check out a Mazda forum, it seems you're leaning that way.
I need to drive the mazda again to make sure, but yes it's a good idea to look at the forum for it. i've never owned one before. I have owned a subaru and really liked it. thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
I have a part-time gig at a wholesale auto auction and drive a lot of used cars. The three you have landed on all seem to hold up well given reasonably good maintenance.
The Subaru is of course all-wheel drive if that is important to you but the interiors seem to deteriorate faster than most. Lower end Toyotas seem to have lost their way in terms of the quality they were known for back in the day.
Mazda would be my choice. Fun to drive is important to me. The key, as with any car, is maintenance. Looking ahead a few years, a cheap car well maintained is far better than an expensive car badly maintained.
Interesting information on the toyotas. I will say it felt the most practical as in a good car but with nothing that stands out. The safety tech is nice, but not sure it's necessary.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Other things I have thought of:

I like to Google "common problems with *insert car of choice here*" Just to see what comes up.

I like to do some of my own work, so I also think about the ease of the work.

warranty length etc.

If you're really torn, I might see if the dealership will let you use the vehicle for a couple of days, I've been able to do this in the past.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 PM

just saw an article about the 2019 Mazda 3. it's a new model, so I'm wondering what will be out there when it's time to buy. From what the article says, it is a bit lower and longer, and sits on a new platform but to quote the article "swapped its predecessor's more sophisticated multilink independent rear suspension for a cheaper and more compact torsion-beam setup. Mazda claims that this new suspension—together with more sound-deadening material—improves the car's quietness, but we hope the switch doesn't come at the expense of the 3's characteristically responsive handling."
Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepcritter View Post
just saw an article about the 2019 Mazda 3. it's a new model, so I'm wondering what will be out there when it's time to buy. From what the article says, it is a bit lower and longer, and sits on a new platform but to quote the article "swapped its predecessor's more sophisticated multilink independent rear suspension for a cheaper and more compact torsion-beam setup. Mazda claims that this new suspensionótogether with more sound-deadening materialóimproves the car's quietness, but we hope the switch doesn't come at the expense of the 3's characteristically responsive handling."
If it's the first year of a new design I would wait. Let them work out some kinks.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My last car was an STi and if you have any use for AWD (ie.snow) its worth it to get the impreza IMO.
if not, I would drive them all again and see what deals you can get on each. Mazda, at least around here, would have the lowest resale of the three.
I've been in a couple new toyotas and thats the way I would lean between them if you dont need AWD. The standard features are nice on that coroalla
Old 12-31-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Your not asking for other cars but Iíll offer anyway. Have you looked at a Fusion? We bought one for my daughter. Itís a 2016,had 22,000 miles on it. It was about $16,000. Itís averaging a solid 30 mpg. It a bigger car also but not to big, non turbo 4 cylinder.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeman1 View Post
Your not asking for other cars but Iíll offer anyway. Have you looked at a Fusion? We bought one for my daughter. Itís a 2016,had 22,000 miles on it. It was about $16,000. Itís averaging a solid 30 mpg. It a bigger car also but not to big, non turbo 4 cylinder.
thanks. I'm wanting to do something new, and the fusion is just a bit out of my price range. Looking for cheap but reliable transportation. I have been in a fusion actually, and it's not bad, but as a rule, the Fords are running smaller inside in the car line than most of their competitors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: compact car selection

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: