Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Off-Topic
Anyone familiar with the pressure washing business? >

Anyone familiar with the pressure washing business?

Topic Sponsor
Off-Topic Want to discuss something not related to a Ford F150? Here's the place.

Anyone familiar with the pressure washing business?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with the pressure washing business?

Tossing around a few ideas for a summer job and this comes to mind. The only real cost I would have is buying a legitimate pressure washer and the expenses going to and from the sites I worked on. As long as chemicals were not used I wouldn't need any type of license to work would I? It seems that once you pay to get things started everything afterwards is profit and paying off your initial cost. Spreading the word would seem to be fairly easy, fliers in mailboxes and around the area should do the trick.

Anyone have any insight and/or ideas relating to this?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen folks in Dallas area doing this as a mobile carwash. It works awesome. They charge like $8 for a full exterior wash and dry. I pay $12 bi-weekly at the carwash now. The only thing,is they target certain areas. If the areasare there,the money is too.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 83 Likes on 7 Posts

I've thought about doing a mobile detailing business before but I just don't see the want or need for that in my area. People wouldn't want to pay for the type job I'd do, polishing and waxing takes hours when done correctly. Plus the upkeep for products and "tools" it quite pricey.

With this I see it being extremely cheap to upkeep once things get rolling. I would be working by myself and I have always been nit-picky person when I'm doing things and a very hard worker so I know I will be doing a quality job. I'd call the other local pressure washer businesses and get there estimates on jobs and beat that price on the same job to keep customers coming my way. I won't have to pay many expenses like others would have to pay who might have employees, vehicles, and other items what all build the price up.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 AM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The summer after HS I worked with a guy (read, I did the work, he got drunk) who had a PW. He had deals with the strip malls locally and all the way out in Laughlin, NV... Would scrape the gum off the ground and then pressure wash the side walk areas. Would do this in the middle of the night. Was pretty good money and the work wasn't all that bad.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 AM

are you gonna have insurance for the business? one small mistake can put you in the hole big time. really *** something up and you could possibly get sued for "negligence"

really think about your plans. there are *******s out there that will try and screw you over for making a simple buck.

its not as easy as you think to start up a small part time business
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Ty

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercrewzer View Post
are you gonna have insurance for the business? one small mistake can put you in the hole big time. really *** something up and you could possibly get sued for "negligence"

really think about your plans. there are *******s out there that will try and screw you over for making a simple buck.

its not as easy as you think to start up a small part time business
EXACTLY! there is a whole lot more than getting a pressure washer and dragging it around with your truck. You need to look into doing it right, and starting some sort of LLC, and being fully insured is a big selling point to many people. That way they know that if you "wash" off one of your toes it cant come back to bite them in the ***.

Go to your local book store and pick up a book on starting a llc, read it cover to cover, and then go from there.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Sep 08' TOTM Winner

Insurance insurance insurance!!!!

If you are going to be doing houses people will always find something wrong or broken if they want to an ***. Its like snow plowing with out anything a lot of people do it but if you get in trouble it can really screw you! And if you are going to be legit become INC, they take a little more taxes from you but if there ever is a problem and someone sues you they cant take things like your house or personal things.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Any time you are working (being paid) around or with other people's stuff, you really need insurance. Also you had better check into local EPA laws, sometimes they get fussy over gray water runoff. I know the guy that came on site to clean our trucks had to recover his runoff.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM

get a commercial grade pressure washer with a good psi. The residential ones have a plastic impeller, commercial has stainless steel.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of tips.

1 dont get anything from home depot/Lowes its all crap.. they are made for home owners that will only use it once or twice a year.. they will die in less than a month if you use them everyday and their warranty will be voided for "Commercial use"

Get a Mi-T-M with atleast around 3500 psi and youll be good to go.

2. Get a small pump sprayer for your chemicals using the pressure washer to mix the chemicals in is annoying and wont work as good as having a pump sprayer..

Outdoor bleach is great to use on just about anything and its pretty cheap

3. be extremly carefull if you do any type of wood/decks its very easy to splinter wood beyond easy repair with a pressure washer. Its best to soak the whole thing in bleach then wash it off at a distance

4. Driveways!!!! Driveways are easy money this is what you want.. for an averaged sized driveway we charged about $150 and that can be done in about an hour..

Beleive it or not Pressure washing is a skill like anything else and will take time to learn.. the first house I ever did took me all day to do... although it was a pretty big house.. but I went back and did the same house a year later in 3 hours..

As far as insurrance we had it but never had to use it.. although it is nice to have it helps sell the job more than anything to be honest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with the pressure washing business?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: