Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring questions

I had removed both front qtrs to be repainted and when i put them back on i somehow messed the wiring up. I thought i regrounded all my wires correctly but now if i leave the battery connected it will drain so much within a few hours it wont start, over night it wont even click to engage the starter. Can someone tell me or show me pictures of what the correct wiring should look like around the starter relay. That whole cluster of wires and gizmo's is what i am struggling with.
On a side note the battery is good, been checked twice, as is my alternator. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Here is a pic if my '85 starter solenoid

Top is everything except the wires to the starter (Bottom single wire) and engage wire coming from the ignition switch (orange/red push-on on left post)
Attached Thumbnails Wiring questions-img_20160812_162254_672.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Senior

Also make sure you did not pinch one of these hot wired and create a direct ground. That will drain a battery real fast.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:50 PM

By pinch what do you mean? Like have them touching each other? I am not an electrician by any means at all. Maybe if i post a picture someone can show me what i did wrong.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Prime example of my electrical abilities. Back in highschool shop class i wired up a short and killed the entire schools power for an hour.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Senior

Originally Posted by Jwperformanceexhaust
By pinch what do you mean? Like have them touching each other? I am not an electrician by any means at all. Maybe if i post a picture someone can show me what i did wrong.
Pinch wire = get a wire between to objects and "crust it" breaking the insulation exposing the internal wire so it can contact (Only applies to a hot [+] wire) another surface or when two or more were done in the same place and the contact each other if one is hot (+) and the other is a ground (-).

Sorry if this sound over simplified
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Senior

Originally Posted by Jwperformanceexhaust

Prime example of my electrical abilities. Back in highschool shop class i wired up a short and killed the entire schools power for an hour.
That looks correct
Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That looks like a black wire on the hot side.
And I'm used to seeing all the wires on the right and the starter feed on the left, but that's probably because I've been lookin at 92 to 96's for so long. The paint stain on the right post makes it look like it belongs the way it is.
But I'd trace that Black ? wire (first one on the left post) and make sure it's not a ground. If it were, it would certainly explain your problem.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:15 PM

If it is a ground then where does it connect??
Old 08-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Well, I don't have that vintage of truck handy to have a look, so I'm just guessing based on a fast battery drain and the appearance of a black wire in a hot circuit. From everything I know, black wires are always ground - if indeed it is actually black, I'm just looking at a picture.
So if it's for sure black, is it black all the way and where does it go to (or come from).
If it's determined to be ground for sure, the wire theoretically hasn't gotten any shorter or longer than it was so there are only so many places it will reach to, which should help narrow it down.
If it's for sure ground there is usually a spot on the fender beside the battery for a ground bolt.
I don't want you to fry your wiring hooking something up wrong is why I keep saying to make sure it is actually a ground wire.

Quick Reply: Wiring questions