Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Turn signals work until engine is engaged

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn signals work until engine is engaged

Hi guys, I'm the proud owner of a 1983 F-150 6cy. It runs great but I'm having a problem with the turn signals. When I turn the ignition switch on the signals work, but when I turn it the rest of the way and start the engine, they stop working. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

you need to dig through your wiring and find where it's messed up. if no one has messed with anything under the dash or the hood the most common location for this to happen is at the trailer pig tail
The following 2 users liked this post by Matthew Burr:
1967 Tempest (10-01-2015), jimdan1962 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr
you need to dig through your wiring and find where it's messed up. if no one has messed with anything under the dash or the hood the most common location for this to happen is at the trailer pig tail
Thanks Matt, I think I'm good under the dash and hood, nothing I can see out of the usual. I'll check the trailer pig tail. Of course, they started working again on their own, go figure.....
Old 09-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdan1962
Thanks Matt, I think I'm good under the dash and hood, nothing I can see out of the usual. I'll check the trailer pig tail. Of course, they started working again on their own, go figure.....
Your ignition switch (at the bottom of the column) may have some play in it too, move the key back towards off a little the next time it happens and see if they start working. if the do it is play in the switch. Mine did this also drove me nuts just to find some play in the switch. I was able to "adjust" the switch a little on one end and correct mine.

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
jimdan1962 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
Your ignition switch (at the bottom of the column) may have some play in it too, move the key back towards off a little the next time it happens and see if they start working. if the do it is play in the switch. Mine did this also drove me nuts just to find some play in the switch. I was able to "adjust" the switch a little on one end and correct mine.

Hope this helps
Thanks Ghostrider, I'll check that out, that could be it! Whatever the case may be, I'll certainly let ya'll know.

Thank you for your Service as well Sir, My Dad retired from the Air Force, 25 years, he served in WWII and the Korean war.
GhostriderI (09-27-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Hope this helps
Ok, it's confirmed Ghostrider, it's exactly what you said. They stopped working and actually I just pulled on the key (backwards) just a hair and they started working. When you said " the switch" are you referring to the turn signal switch?

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 10-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Senior

Originally Posted by jimdan1962
Ok, it's confirmed Ghostrider, it's exactly what you said. They stopped working and actually I just pulled on the key (backwards) just a hair and they started working. When you said " the switch" are you referring to the turn signal switch?

Thanks again,
Jim
No, Your ignition switch (at the bottom of the column). The key moves a rod that goes down the steering column in to what looks like a box with a wire bundle plugged onto it mounted on the column [(down near the gas pedal) you get to lay down and work a little] that box is what I bumped it back "up" towards the steering wheel just a touch to realign everything. I know I will have to replace it soon because it is worn but for now it works until I get some of the other projects done if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps
jimdan1962 (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM

No, Your ignition switch (at the bottom of the column). The key moves a rod that goes down the steering column in to what looks like a box with a wire bundle plugged onto it mounted on the column [(down near the gas pedal) you get to lay down and work a little] that box is what I bumped it back "up" towards the steering wheel just a touch to realign everything. I know I will have to replace it soon because it is worn but for now it works until I get some of the other projects done if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps
Got it, thanks buddy!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Senior

No problem, hope you get it all worked out. Oh when I said you get to lay down and work I never said you would be comfortable
Old 10-04-2015, 06:41 PM

No problem, hope you get it all worked out. Oh when I said you get to lay down and work I never said you would be comfortable
Ha, I've already dealt with the switch once, just spraying some wd on it, and you're right, it wasn't comfortable! No biggie, I love being able to fix something myself, this truck is just so basic, really easy to work on.

Quick Reply: Turn signals work until engine is engaged