Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Truck won't start when the engine is hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start when the engine is hot

Hey everyone,

So i have a project truck ( 1985 Ford F150 Xl short cab, side step). It was my fathers truck and when he passed i decided to rebuild it in his memory. The only issue I am having right now is that the truck starts right away when cold. but if the truck is running for awhile and i shut it off, if I try to start it again it will slowly turn but eventually gets stuck and i can see smoke rise from the terminal.

A friend thought it might be the starter, so i replaced it with a brand new one today, although it seemed to help a bit, the issue is still present. When it gets stuck if I give it a jump from another car, it starts right away. The battery seems fine as well .

I am thinking maybe i need to clean the terminals for a potential bad ground, but I thought i would ask if anyone has had this issue. Thanks a lot for anyone's help in advance.

Jeremy
Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First check battery terminals to see they are clean, smooth and tight. Then check the voltage drop from all cables using a multimeter set on 20dc volts. Crank engine and record readings between batt and solenoid, solenoid and starter, and batt negative to engine ground cable bolt. Dissconect coil battery positive before cranking engine over. Replace any cable which shows .2 v or more of a drop.

Last edited by 1985f1504x4; 11-17-2016 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-18-2016, 05:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know you tried replacing the starter, but what type of starter did you replace it with?

My '79 had a similar issue except that it would slow crank but eventually start. The problem is common in those years and is caused by heat soak because of the exhaust being so close to it. I replaced my starter with a PMGR upgrade which is smaller and has more torque, problem solved.

The smoke rising seems odd. Definitely test the cables as described above, also remove and clean all your grounds.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Check your timing .... to much advance can cause a slow crank when hot.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple things...which engine ? and is it the DuraSpark ignition ? After inspecting all of the grounds and cables, I would pick up a Motorcraft Ignition Module and plug it in without bolting it in and see if that helps (they are known for causing hot start issues when they get old, and it never hurts to have a spare anyway). I would avoid unknown brand named modules also. Motorcraft or NAPA Echlin would be my two choices. Lastly, how old is the Starter Relay on the passenger side fender ?
Old 11-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey there, i got me a 91 and i used to have the same problem.
i went through a few starters before i finally went and spent the money on a good, quality starter. also in the process of doing so i ended up losing spark, so i replaced my ignition coil and my ignition module on the side of my distributor as well. also had to get a good, quality alternator. just cleaned all of my connections and made sure my terminals were good and tight as well and ever since then ive been good to go for a few months now! hope this helps