Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Removing EGR and such on my '83 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing EGR and such on my '83 300

I've searched high and low across this forum and Google in general. I can't seem to find anything specific to an '83 with a 300 in it. Most guides are for a '87+, which is obviously quite different.

I have a 1983 F150 4x4 with a 300 and T18. It's quite a beater truck, but it works and I just put a couple hundred bucks into it while I rebuilt the frame. 6 new shocks, leaf spring poly bushings, new rear shackles and mounts, new rear shock mounts, "new" leaf springs from an early 90's Bronco since I had a broken leaf on each side, fixed the wiring in the tail lights, welded the exhaust back together, new motor mounts, rebuilt the carburetor, etc. The truck works, but I wouldn't mind ditching the EGR and related components to simplify things a bit.

So far, I unhooked the air pump and pulled it and the associated parts out and plugged any vacuum lines that needed plugging. I also removed the warm air diverter for the air intake because I don't plan on driving it when it's so cold out that it won't run while sucking in cold air. Also, the thing that sucks hot air warmed by the exhaust into the automatic choke had a rusted and broken metal pipe going from the top of the horn down to the exhaust manifold, so I built a new one out of brake tubing and it seems to be working just fine now.

I'd like to eliminate as many vacuum lines as I can and only keep what I need. Obviously, I need the brake booster line still, but what else? If someone has pictures that point to what things are when they talk about them, that would be great. I'm not too good at knowing what the components are if you just name them. I'm not concerned over loss of mileage, if any. I simply want a reliable old truck I can put some junk in and haul to the dump once in a while.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Read the article linked in this caption:

(phone app link)

This list defines most of the terms & abbreviations in this industry.

For pics with labels, start here & keep going to the NEXT few dozen, or click the album name (General Purpose) at the top of the page and browse them all:

(phone app link)
The following users liked this post:
juddspaintballs (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 02:27 PM

Steve, I appreciate the reply, however I'm a bit confused by what you linked. The caption in the first picture describes a vehicle with electronic fuel injection and how the idle mixture is not adjustable. That is clearly not the case on my '83 with a carburetor and idle mixture screw.

The list linked on Four Door Bronco Forums keeps coming back with "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." I'll try again later.

From the pictures, I wasn't able to find a whole lot that related to either a 300 or a 300 that old. I found a couple useful things in all 257 pictures, but most had to deal with the V8's and something newer. Lots of good information, but I'm not seeing much at all on vacuum lines. I found something that related to the air pump repair, with a linked article on that other forum (that is too busy to use at the moment).
Old 09-23-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out Clifford performance website
Old 09-23-2018, 06:19 PM

Neat products.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Until 4DB comes back online, you might find some useful info & many owners of similar trucks at
http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/
The following users liked this post:
juddspaintballs (09-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Removing EGR and such on my '83 300