Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Passing emissions in Colorado.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passing emissions in Colorado.

I have a 1982 f-150 302 V8 2 bbl carb. I failed emissions twice so far. I am going to take it for the third emissions test Monday. I was asking if any one knows any thing i should be doing before the third emissions test ?.

So far i have had the carb rebuilt/new cat/new plugs /new wires/new EGR valve/new air pump check valve/new fuel filter. I should pass emissioins, but for some reason if i don't pass emissions i have a mechanic that will de-tune the truck to pass emissions , then re-tune it after it passes ?. I should pass as i have replaced every thing i can think of in the emissions circut or that would effect emissions?. If any one can think of any thing i missed , i would be great full to know. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 PM

I found a shop in NorthGlenn Colorado for any ford trucks in the north area, it's called T H Automotive. They have a tail pipe sniffer. They are going to de-tune mine till it passes the emissions , then re-tune it after the emissions is passed.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 AM

I passed emissions in Colorado a few weeks ago. I went to TH Automotive in NorthGlernn and they charged me $300.00 which included at a minimum the rebuilding of the carb and timeing and taking it to the emissions for me. I recommend these guys , ask for Dusty...They also rejetted my carb for the elevation. I am a happy camper , my 4x4 is ready for winter. I'm going back to the license plate place and get the 5 year tags so i don't have to do this for a while and it saves a few bucks .
Old 09-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

IF it failed then you should get a read out [test results]as to why it failed, CO. HC, Evap, visual etc. certain parts affect different emissions. Test results should point you or your mechanic in the right direction .
Most states exempt pre 1995 vehicles from test. Sorry I meant some states.

Last edited by bubbabud; 09-14-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM

@bubbabud: Of course i did that. I failed three times and each time i learned a bit.My mechanic at TH automotive was the last guy on the list. I went to him after it was clear even to me(pretty handy round cars) that i needed the carb rebuilt and the timeing was off as well. I always read the print outs. The high co's were the carb running too rich.It is a 34 year old truck so i replace the vacuum advance because the diaphram was split and i realize the vacuum advance has nothing to do with it but it's 34 years old can't hurt. I replace the EGR valve as well as the air flow check valve and the carb rebuild passed it. I am going to get the 5 year collector plates this time. I tried to do all i coulkd before taking it to the mechanic. I like to do most things my self but in this case i didn't feel comfortable with the carb so i paid for the carb and the timing etc. All's well that ends well yup!. Colorado tests all years and the new thing in Colorado is any vehicle below 95 has to get an emissions every year, so i'm getting the 5 year collector plates.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Half ton good deal you passed and 5 year pate great idea.
It is ironic how laws change years ago I used to drive to Cortez from Phoenix to shop the wrecking yard for emission control parts to bring Arizona car's that had been stripped of parts into compliance because Colorado was not testing and parts were cheap. now it seems to be the other way around.

Quick Reply: Passing emissions in Colorado.