Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Parking brake cable issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Parking brake cable issues

I've recently torn down the rear end of my '85 F150 XLT Lariat to change the rear diff fluid and clean up the carrier and decided to replace the non-functioning parking brake cables. The original cables were so rusty that they would not actuate the parking brake lever in the drum brakes when the foot pedal was depressed. So, upon installing the new cables in the rear, I realized that the portion of the cable that is inside the backing plate (connects to drum brakes) is too long and will not stay connected to the parking brake lever on the drum brakes. Has anyone encountered this problem? Basically the same thing happened with the front cable replacement as well. I installed it and when I hooked up the equalizer bar and adjuster it's too long.

All the cables were ordered for my specific application. 117" WB 1985 F150. Shortbed 4x4. Can I try and cut off a length of the cable and try to press on a new end piece? I will try to post some photos up this afternoon when I get back home so y'all can have a better idea of exactly what I am talking about.

Last edited by ChandlerMaxwell; 03-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

No, you can't press anything onto a cable. The ends are swaged on, and it takes specialized equipment to get it tight enough to hold, and the right size to fit through the slot in the equalizer. It sounds like you bought low-quality replacements, but the cables will only fit right if the entire rear brake system is assembled & working properly. Did you compare their lengths to the originals? What's the brand, PN, source for each new cable? Post pics of the cables & the assembled brakes behind the drums. Click this, read the caption, and continue reading the NEXT dozen or so:

(phone app link)

How far has the tension limiter travelled?

(phone app link)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
No, you can't press anything onto a cable. The ends are swaged on, and it takes specialized equipment to get it tight enough to hold, and the right size to fit through the slot in the equalizer. It sounds like you bought low-quality replacements, but the cables will only fit right if the entire rear brake system is assembled & working properly. Did you compare their lengths to the originals? What's the brand, PN, source for each new cable? Post pics of the cables & the assembled brakes behind the drums. Click this, read the caption, and continue reading the NEXT dozen or so:

The originals got tossed before the new ones arrived by another member of the household unfortunately, but they are the Carquest Wearever line of cables. Product numbers for the front, rear right, and rear left are BCA93398, BCA94490, and BCA93347 respectively. I will post photos in the next few hours when I get back to the truck.

But the problem is that the cable refuses to stay connected to the arm that's attached to the shoe when I try to put the shoes in place. It will simply pop because of the amount of bend in it and the excess cable. I will try to illustrate that portion in the photos I post later.

(phone app link)

How far has the tension limiter travelled?

I have the tension limiter adjusted with the nut as far as it will go to tighten the connection between the front cable and the equalizer bar but there is still a significant amount of slack in the cable.

(phone app link)
I will edit this post to include the photos that I will take so that you can see exactly what I am talking about in response to your questions.

Thanks for reaching out to help.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM

I'm having a hell of a time uploading just the photos themselves, but here is a link to a google drive folder with the photos. They show the slack from the front cable to the equalizer, the equalizer setup (yes, the spring is not connected in the photo), and the rear cable as it relates to the rear brake assembly. You can see just how long the cable is within the housing.

Photos
Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 PM

The link in this caption will take you to the image-hosting site I use, which is better for discussion forums than G. Drive:

(phone app link)

I can tell you didn't read those captions. You have the wrong intermediate cable (the section between the e-brake cable & the tension limiter. Go to the nearest JY and look for a truck with the same wheelbase as yours. Either get or measure its intermediate cable.

Last edited by Steve83; 03-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The link in this caption will take you to the image-hosting site I use, which is better for discussion forums than G. Drive:

(phone app link)

I can tell you didn't read those captions. You have the wrong intermediate cable (the section between the e-brake cable & the tension limiter. Go to the nearest JY and look for a truck with the same wheelbase as yours. Either get or measure its intermediate cable.
Nobody can read your captions, when I click on them they are too small to read on a 50" television, what do you expect?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM

You're making a BIG assumption, based on your own problems. Hundreds of people read those captions every day. If you weren't being such a jerk, I might explain to you how simple it is to fix your problem.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're making a BIG assumption, based on your own problems. Hundreds of people read those captions every day. If you weren't being such a jerk, I might explain to you how simple it is to fix your problem.
I don't need to fix your problem. You;re Jerk on every post with your passive remarks. Just can't keep it cool can you.....

Quick Reply: Parking brake cable issues