Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

papat

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default papat

I have a 79 F150,I6,3spd...the part of the clutch release assembly keeps dropping when the clutch pedal is pushed in...I have already replaced all the plastic bushings and felt and new clips...but after all this installation the Z bar or equalizer wants to twist and try to drop off the stud this is mounted on the side of the block...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Try posting some pics. Its been waaaaayyy to long since I have messed with one of those systems. I put an engine in a BEAUTIFUL 69 Ford that had what you are talking about. I cant remember what I did to fix the problem you are describing.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 PM

post pics...for help....I love the old 79
Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Default see if this will help

the pics are below...hope this helps if not let me know and I will try a diff angle...also the rod from the clutch pedal inside where it goes thru the firewall I have not replaced that boot...so there is some slack there...I don't think that it is enuff for the problem I have but just to let u know the whole picture...also the stud that is mounted on the frame...far right side of pix...has been welded down for some reason...previous owner even had this c clamp holding it down to the frame??? you can see the threads...it is not installed now just laying there...not sure if the place he welded it to is lined up correctly either??? thanks for any imput...

Last edited by papat; 07-22-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...1&d=1185114249
Attached Thumbnails papat-truck-pics-001.jpg  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:32 AM

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...1&d=1185114584
Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 AM

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...1&d=1185114899
Attached Thumbnails papat-truck-pics-003.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Just from your pictures, it looks like your engine is sitting too low. The clutch assembly should be almost horizontal to work correctly. It does sit on the ball mounted to the block so when the engine moves, it will still work. It looks like you have it at max at the angle it is currently in.

Did you replace this engine sometime back or are the motor mounts old? Is the frame straight?

Just my ideas.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Default thanks for the input...

as far as I know this is the original engine...but we just pulled the engine to replace all the freeze plugs and so I replaced the motor mounts while I had it out...not Ford parts either so I assume they are the correct height...if not could I put some shims under them? I didn't replace the trans mount...I don't remember what it looked like as far as if it was cracked or something...other than the alignment problem this truck has a problem when you leave it in first gear and let off the gas...it jumps out of gear w/out pushing in the clutch...the shifter is still on the colomn...any ideas? thanks again, Papa T
Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 PM

My dad always said, “Try the cheapest fix first.”

About the clutch linkage: If the other end of the clutch linkage has an adjustment to push the rod in the picture towards the engine block, try adjusting as far as possible. Another suggestion: Take the ball out of the engine and place a flat washer on the bolt part before putting it back on the engine. This will place the ball farther out and may keep the alignment in better.

About the shift linkage and coming out of first: It may be as simple as linkage adjustment or replacing all of the plastic anti rattle shims in the shift linkage. It may be more serious and is in the trans itself.

Good luck.