Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement - '86 F150 4.9L

Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 PM
New Learner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement - '86 F150 4.9L

I just joined up to the forum yesterday and today I've started my first "project" on my F150. I mentioned in my introductory post that, although I've had late model F150's, I've always wanted an older one for my son and I to learn to tinker around with and to someday pass down to him. I'm a total novice when it comes to car repairs but there's only one way to learn!

This truck has been running pretty good since I bought it. It's an 86 model with 4.9L I6 300. I had a new carb put in (didn't have the guts to tackle that myself) and new tires. Other than that, it's run fairly well. All of a sudden the other day, it wouldn't start up. Tried and tried to no avail. Used starter fluid and it started right away but kept shutting off after a couple seconds. I'm sure there's numerous things that could cause this but, from what I've read (here), it seems the fuel pump is a good first culprit to look at. I thought it'd be the perfect first project for me to attempt myself. I looked around and couldn't find any exact documentation or videos for replacing the fuel pump for my particular truck, so I thought I'd document it here as best as I could. I'm waiting for the replacement pump to come in on Thurs so I won't be able to finish it up until this weekend. Wish me luck.

Today, I at least got the old one off. I'm curious though, can you guys tell me what the metal "bracket" is that runs up and behind the fuel pump? There's some sort of electrical component supported by it. The top of the bracket mounts onto the top of the engine, in between two of the spark plugs, and the bottom of it shares the two mounting bolts for the fuel pump. May be hard to see in the pictures. Just curious because all of the photos and videos I saw didn't have this piece and it's not showing in my Chilton book. I was able to take it off and move out of the way fairly easily.

Until the new one comes in, here's a few pictures of the process (prior to the old gasket residue being cleaned off) if anyone's interested!

**Sorry just noticed the pictures are rotated 90 to the left...Not sure why!**
Attached Thumbnails Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement - '86 F150 4.9L-img_1652.jpg   Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement - '86 F150 4.9L-img_1654.jpg   Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement - '86 F150 4.9L-img_1656.jpg  

Last edited by BLayson; 07-18-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Photo description
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That's the ignition coil being supported by the ignition coil mounting bracket.
The following users liked this post:
BLayson (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM
New Learner

Awesome thanks for the knowledge Chris!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:24 PM
New Learner

Default Next question in the process - Push rod? I don't see one

Ok guys I'm back at it this weekend. 15 mins in and I already have more questions.

Everything I read and saw before attempting this talked about a push rod that works the arm of the fuel pump. However, I don't see this rod? I see what looks to be part of one of the cam's (I think that's right) but no rod. I know nothing fell out when I pulled the old pump out.

After searching and doing more reading, I saw that Ford's don't have these push rods? Is that correct?

My problem is, the cam is in a "position" that when I try to put the new fuel pump in and make sure the arm is under the cam, the pump is too low to line up with the bolt holes. I need to somehow "raise" the cam a little so the pump will line up.

I was going to try to turn the engine over to see if the cam would raise but wasn't sure it's safe to do that? Can I turn the engine by hand? I have no idea how to do that.

I've attached a picture showing where the pump goes and there's no rod there.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You have to clean that old gasket off really well - I'm sure you were planning to.
There should be a cam on the lobe that moves the rod up and down.
To turn the motor you put a socket on the big bolt in the middle of the bottom pulley and best to turn it clockwise, that's tighten (rather than take a chance of loosening the bolt).
Disconnect the battery before sticking your hands in there.
It'll probably be a little bit tight putting the new pump on even after you turn the cam lobe to a good spot.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Strong arm?

You can move the arm manually too. Just takes a little bit of elbow grease.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. Before you install the new pump, scrape off all the old gasket material, scuff it with emery cloth or sand paper, then clean it with alcohol, or another degreaser. Window cleaner works well in a pinch too. I recomend using a little sealant with the new gasket, I like Ultra Black, but there's also orange for high temp, and blue, they're all about the same. I like to put down a 1/8" bead then smooth it a bit with my finger to make sure the gasket surface is covered. Cover the gasket, both sides, and both metal surfaces to be sealed, then bolt it on.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

X2 clean off old gasket. I thought my oil pan was leaking and when my pump died and I replaced it, the gasket was gone on pump. No more oil leak!!!

One other thing to check is the pump arm. There are 2 types. Long and short. If you truck was assembled in Canada, you will have the short arm. Food for thought.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:55 AM

no fuel came out of the hose when i detached it so i just propped it up carefully.
turned out pump i had was too short and it got dark so left it til morning.
in the morning, fuel everywhere spilled out of the hose in the night and was all over and big puddle on ground.
don't know if it is all of the gas or how much. so in future know it is necessary to plug the hose.
these pictures and things to be aware of very helpful...even not knowing if this one made it to finished.
thanks.

Last edited by 86ford1; 03-05-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Search this Thread