Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Looking to do a F100 as a father son project..ideal years?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to do a F100 as a father son project..ideal years?

Not looking to break the bank or take on anything massively complicated. My pops is a skilled woodworker however somewhat green with project cars. I myself can do most of the basics's and what we cant do I have a body shop, garage, and machine shop in mind.

I know my dad had a old 78-79 F100 with a 3 on the tree with a 6 cylinder when I was little. Hoping to find something close to what he had and get a 302 with an auto in it. I would prefer a stick but the old man has a bum left foot so shifting aint gonna happen.

Anyways would love to hear some suggestions/opinions on good years and what im getting myself into lol. Goal would be a simple carbed 302 with a auto trans not sure what is the best for my budget C6, C4, or AOD? And also lower it a few inches as well.

Thanks all
Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the C6, but with today's highway speeds, 3 gears just don't cut the mustard. These transmissions were built for pickups during the years when highway speeds were 55mph or less. Yes, you can crank them up to 75 but your RPMs will be waaay high (and the manual fuel pump will be clicking loudly).

Go for the AOD (still hydraulic transmission like the C6 but with an Overdrive gear). You can bolt this up to pretty much any SBF engine.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Braggs
I love the C6, but with today's highway speeds, 3 gears just don't cut the mustard. These transmissions were built for pickups during the years when highway speeds were 55mph or less. Yes, you can crank them up to 75 but your RPMs will be waaay high (and the manual fuel pump will be clicking loudly).

Go for the AOD (still hydraulic transmission like the C6 but with an Overdrive gear). You can bolt this up to pretty much any SBF engine.
Good call I wasnt sure of the C6 gear setup. Has anyone been able to make the a column shift + AOD in a F100 before? Was thinking about it last night and would be cool vs cutting a hole in the floor. Also does anyone sell swap motor mounts for a 302? And which cross member and driveshaft would I be able to use?

Thanks sorry for the million questions just doing reasearch
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

If you're going to be making a Frankenstein with different engine/transmission combinations than came with your year/model, you're gonna have to do some fabrication. Best advice is to take all the parts you need from the donor vehicle. Plenty of people have done it before so just keep researching.

Here's a link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=c6+t...utf-8&oe=utf-8
The following users liked this post:
redfordman (03-28-2017)