Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

im at a loss on my 77 f150

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im at a loss on my 77 f150

So I have had this truck for 7 months haven't been able to drive it hardly it a 77 f150 custom deluxe with the 4.9 straight 6 now when I bought it it had a new msd ignition and a factory replacement start recently put in I was told it needed a new alternator so I put anew one on started great several times drove it home fine no problems even stopped for gas started right back up next morning trucks completely dead jumped fine wouldn't recharge so I replaced the battery after auto zone said it was bad ran fine for a couple days then same thing so cut out the inline fuse coming from solenoid and replaced the voltage regulator and truck fired right up every day for a couple weeks then one morning it only made clicking noises sometimes just one click others the rapid clicking so I figured I had a bad or loose batt wired I replaced the battery wires and still nothing so I replaced the starter solenoid and then tried jumping it and all it did was repeatedly turn over and over even after I turn the key off and took it out and didn't stop till I pulled the cables so so thinking solenoid was stuck replaced it with another and still the same thing I'm at a loss and need this as my daily driver for work I appreciate any help I don't know weather I messed something up in this process or if there's a chance that I got a second bad solenoid
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the starter is staying engaged pull the small starter wire off the solenoid or relay which ever u prefer to call it. Its the small red wire its also labeled with a S. If it is still turning over with the small wire off its the relay if it stops then u have problems somewhere else sending voltage to the relay all the time, I would check the ignition switch. And check the alternator output with a DMM should be around 14volts.

Quick Reply: im at a loss on my 77 f150