Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

As I'll demostrate here...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As I'll demostrate here...

I'm not a Mechanic nor am I very mechanical. I simply wanted to flush out my radiator and end up stripping I think the petcock or drain. The only radiators I seen in the past get drained, the petcock just screws out completely. On this 82 Ford F150, it seems like it's a valve of some kind. You have a small pipe with a butterfly nut half way down the short pipe and then a funnel like piece that goes into the radiator. Can someone explain what I'm not understanding here? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Lee
Old 09-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Not sure what is on yours, but mine sounds similar - a plastic valve with the wingnut handle recessed in a tube.

There is a drain nipple on this valve, but it is such that a hose needs to be stuck on it to direct the coolant into a bucket instead of having it run all over everything.

The valve will back all of the way out - in effect removing the valve stem. Not a problem - make sure everything is cleaned up for a good seal and screw it back in.

Quick Reply: As I'll demostrate here...