Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition issues

I am having issues with my ignition. Today it started not turning on the fuel pump when i turn the key. After i messed with it for a while and hit it in frustration, it worked. When I got home tho, it wouldnt turn off. I ended up having to disconnect my battery to turn off the truck. Anyone have an idea of what it might be? Anything helps. Thanx
Old 05-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Pretty Quick Learner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rusty I'm not awesome with vehicles but my guess is either the ignition itself or the rod. I remember a old Jeep with the same problem and it was the rod. Posting your trucks year and model may help though.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chubbz
Rusty I'm not awesome with vehicles but my guess is either the ignition itself or the rod. I remember a old Jeep with the same problem and it was the rod. Posting your trucks year and model may help though.
Ya sorry, it is an 86 F-150
Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by F-1Rusty
I am having issues with my ignition. Today it started not turning on the fuel pump when i turn the key. After i messed with it for a while and hit it in frustration, it worked. When I got home tho, it wouldnt turn off. I ended up having to disconnect my battery to turn off the truck. Anyone have an idea of what it might be? Anything helps. Thanx
Could be a bad or mis adjusted ignition switch. The ignition switch is on top of the column behind the dash about knee level. The switch can be adjusted by loosening the mounting bolts and sliding the whole switch forward or backward.
Another possibility is a broken actuator link piece inside the column near the key tumbler. A common problem.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:29 AM

So aftwr I tore apart the the column I found that the ignition actuator rod is connected to a linkage that goes to the switch under the dash. The end of the linkage broke off in the actuator rod. Does the the linkage have a name cause I searched thru my Chiltons and the is nothing I see even mentioning the linkage?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:15 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Is this the part that is broken?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Col...RWvM~v&vxp=mtr
Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
No that is the actuator rod. On the part of the actuator rod where the 2 holes are the linkage broke off and is stuck in the rod. The linkage is the piece that you can move up and down the column to start the engine
Old 05-08-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by F-1Rusty
So aftwr I tore apart the the column I found that the ignition actuator rod is connected to a linkage that goes to the switch under the dash. The end of the linkage broke off in the actuator rod. Does the the linkage have a name cause I searched thru my Chiltons and the is nothing I see even mentioning the linkage?
Google search [ford ignition actuator]
You will find tons of tutorials, YT videos etc.
I have replaced mine 2x.
Drove my truck for months with a vise-grips attached to the rod....

Quick Reply: Ignition issues