Help!! Truck dies going up hill - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Help!! Truck dies going up hill

Old 08-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Help!! Truck dies going up hill

Other day I'm pulling a horse trailer up a pass, minute I hit the uphill part, truck starts to stutter, eventually dies and won't restart. Had it towed to the top to level ground, and was finally able to get it restarted and ran fine. So runs great on level ground or going down hill. It's an 86' F150 with a 5.8 and automatic, everything stock minus a new Holley carb. This is a new to us truck and first time we took it up a hill. After searching threads, I have checked the following.

Carb float - filled the bowl, pulled the sight plug and just a little fuel spills out with light rocking so I'm guessing that it's set correct.

Accelerater Pump - seems adjusted correctly and squirts fuel when throttle is pressed.

Timing - assuming the white marks made by previous owner are correct, timing looked to be spot on, and timing advanced seemed to be working.

Had 3/4 tank of gas, could this be a pickup issue in the tank? I'll try and get a fuel pressure gauge on it today as well.

There was also this open line (right behind where it says performance carburetor) when I took the air cleaner off, anyone know where that goes? Could this be causing a major vacuum leak?

Thanks for any help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!! Truck dies going up hill-img_20170811_201512.jpg  
Zsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Smart to check the carb out. That's a very odd issue. It looks like that carb may have 2 sets of floats. One weird thing I'm seeing is that it looks like most of the emissions are still on it, with an after market carb. I wonder if something is hooked up wrong possibly causing flooding. I'm not sure what kind of goofy sensors or devices your emissions system may have, but maybe it isn't playing well with the carb and timing curve. What year is the truck? What engine?
Yarddogg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #3

It could be an issue with the pickup in the tank, but it sounds like a weak fuel pump; gas can siphon on level ground or downhill but uphill it's too much lift.
The hose is probably from the original carb ? if there's nowhere to plug it in, plug it with something.
Chris_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

The truck is an 86' with the 5.8 in it. And you are correct, it has all the factory emissions hooked up as I'm in Utah and it's required to pass our emissions testing. I still plan on getting a fuel pressure gauge on it just ran out of time this weekend. Good idea on the "goofy sensors and emissions" lol, I will try to double check all the routing and stuff as best I can. The fuel pump doesn't look like it's been touched so maybe I'll pick one up just for peace of mind since they are cheap, and I'll plug that line to see if there is any improvement. Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited by Zsanity; 08-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #5

Oh and that Holley carb is an oem replacement, from what I'm seeing online, that motor came original with a Holley 4 barrel?
Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #6

Yeah, like Chris_1 said, old carb hookup. Most likely the choke heater tube for the old carb, looks like a new wire for an electric choke on your new carb.
vjsimone is offline   Reply With Quote