Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Help me figure out which year I should buy

Old 12-02-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me figure out which year I should buy

I am loving my basic featured 07 STX. I've done a little wrenching on it and found that I enjoyed it. But I have a really bad back and the cramped engine compartment and many computer components got me thinking. Maybe I should get a project truck to play around with.

I started reading a lot, and came up with a couple of ideas. I was born in 76, so maybe a birth year 76 F100? Or what about an 83 through 87 F150? I stopped looking at 60's models because all I was seeing for sale was rusty rollers and high priced restored trucks, but I am open to any suggestion.

My requirements are...

Easy engine to access and repair

No excess complications like power everything. Hand crank windows suit me fine

No interest in show trucks or hot rodding, so most reliable engine trumps fastest engine in my mind

Something with great vintage looks, fun to cruise in

So what model (F100 or F150), year, engine and trim package would you suggest I start focusing my search on? Help me pick a new toy. Bonus if you already have one in your garage and post pics so I can be envious.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a little partial to the '76 F150. Get one with a big block V8. They're really cool trucks! Even with my limited experience and time spent working on it, the engine compartment is very roomy and easy to get around in.

Also, hand crank windows, key-in-door locks, no air conditioning.. (usually). If you're not familiar, or even if you are, maybe kind of like this?

Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 AM

Yeah, the late 70s trucks are calling my name. I like the boxy square bodies on the 80s trucks, but I love the look of a polished six or seventh gen.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I loved my 75 with a 390 and C6. The only thing that was bad on it was the pump seal on the transmission was leaking. Had a lot of room in the engine bay to play around with. The 3.00-9" rear was almost indestructable.....almost. Had an axle seal go out and locked up the pinion bearing. You can pull the whole pumpkin though, not a lot to them.

My 73 had a 302 with a farmer 4. Another well built motor, although I believe it was out of a car. Both of these trucks were high school trucks that I bought myself so that body style still holds a special place for me.

As far as the aftermarket parts, they are becoming more and more available. Sheet metal is sheet metal though. If you know what you're doing you don't have to have a full panel to do minor repairs.

The only other engine I would recommend is the 300. they are bulletproof if taken care of. They aren't fast by any means, but they'll pull the world apart if you let them.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Man_in_Black
Yeah, the late 70s trucks are calling my name. I like the boxy square bodies on the 80s trucks, but I love the look of a polished six or seventh gen.
I like the look of an 80's ford, but there's a certain charisma to the 6th gen trucks that gets lost the further you go on. Like I said, I have a bit of a soft spot for that year of truck, but I also think they're just a solid old truck to go with. There's lots of them that aren't totally destroyed for fairly cheap (I got mine for $1500 from a neighbor, and it's had very few major issues other than some rust spots and the usual mechanical stuff).

Your choice though! Whatever you think will fit you best
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a '85 love that old truck, that said the late '70s have more room under the hood (less smog crap). I agree the 300 is a good all around engine, it will not be first in a race as far as speed, but you take care of it and it won't let you down ether. As far as transmission I would look at a 4 speed w/granny or a c4/6 auto these are all good choices. Now to body this is a personal choice here you have to go with the one that "catches your eye".

Just my old truck

And yes she is stock
The following users liked this post:
WildWest (12-10-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the advice on engines guys. Local to me on Craigslist I am seeing quite a few 302s, one decent 390 with a c6 and one smoking hot low mileage beauty that is out of my price range with only 30 some thousand original miles. Still looking, maybe I should post links here so you guys could advise?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:53 PM

What do the 302's have for transmissions? If they're farmer 4's you should be good to go. The C4/C6 didn't feel right when I drove my buddies 78 w/ 302 and C4.

Just remember that whatever you find, you should do the basic maintenance to get it caught up. On these older trucks, I would change ALL of the fluids including rear end and transfer case if it has it. That way you know what you have from the get go.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:28 PM

Closest to me is a 76 F100 with a 390 and four speed manual 4x4. It needs a lot of interior work and a new rear quarter panel at least. $2000. This is probably the only one I would make an effort to see, and only because it's close and I could pay cash for it without the Wife's permission. Haha.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5313376519.html

There are two 302s but they both have three on the tree. One is that showroom minty beauty they are asking $9500 for.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/5300934331.html

There are a lot of trucks on Craigslist but none are screaming buy me yet.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:33 PM

If none are screaming buy me, then those aren't the ones for you. Lol. I would get the 76 w/390, but that's me personally. It's your money so get what you want the first time. Either way you look at it, it'll be a journey of love for the truck. After you get it fixed up, you could even take the wife to car shows. Haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me figure out which year I should buy