Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

HELP!! 86 F150 I6 still cranking after key is removed from ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow HELP!! 86 F150 I6 still cranking after key is removed from ignition

So, I have an 86 4.9 straight six 4x2 150 that insists on having some kind of problem. It has a new alt, new solenoid, and a new battery, all which are testing (you guessed it) good. Today I get in the truck, start it up and what do I hear? Not the normal glug glug glug, but instead I hear this God awful whining (which I'm assuming is the starter). Turn the key off and wouldn't you know it the truck becomes possessed a wont stop cranking. Take the key out pop the hood and only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. I have just replaced the starter in hopes that in the morning this said demon has decided to leave me and my truck alone. If not does anyone out there know what the root of this possession might be? there are no loose wires that I could find and everything else seems as it should. I'm at my wits and would hate to have to burn the thing to the ground to get rid of the problem.v
Old 12-15-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I personally would have 2-3 starter solenoids in my truck in case they went bad. Seems you have a sticking solenoid from the sounds of it. It's either that or your ignition switch is stuck in the start position. Should be able to test the linkage under the steering column if I remember correctly.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:47 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Seems you have a sticking solenoid from the sounds of it. It's either that or your ignition switch is stuck in the start position. .
Absolutely 100% correct. It is very easy to tell whether it is the solenoid or the ignition switch. The next time it sticks and the starter continues to spin, when you get out to the solenoid, pull that little SLIP ON wire off the solenoid first thing. That disconnects the power lead from the ignition switch. If the starter continues to spin after unhooking that little wire, you know the solenoid is sticking. This is assuming the little wire still slips off and the starting system hasn't been altered in some other way.

Now if the solenoid is sticking, you can usually unstick it by hitting on the solenoid. If you don't have anything with you use the side of your hand, sort of a karate chop. It may take several hits, but this has always worked for me. Much quicker than disconnecting the battery cable.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure where the ignition is on the 86's...but I know the older ignition switches that were dash mounted had a habit of melting and sometimes that would fuse some things together back there that would cause certain issues.

That being said, a good test of what the problem is was stated above. There's been plenty of people over the years that have gotten bad solenoids out of the box or solenoids that go bad even when they're "newer". Most guys I know keep an extra one behind the seat.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Good news!!! Turns out it was the starter and issue is resolved! Now the only thing left for me to figure out is why I get a buzzing noise when the truck is in drive, but when I bump the shifting lever down the buzzing goes away. Any ideas guys?
Old 12-21-2016, 06:53 PM

I had the same kind of elec issue. Just got a 80/302. Changed starter /solenoid /coil /duramax ll the thing kept cranking. Turned out to be a bad ground that wes toasting thw solenoid.

Buzzing. If its a manual. Try adjusting the shifter/shifter stop. May not be completely engaged
Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 AM

It's not a standard it's an automatic, I think the buzzing had to do with the alternator belt going bad, replaced it and haven't noticed the buzzing but that could be hard to hear when you're blasting AC/DC as loud as you can.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this a tilt steering column truck ?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 PM

No tilt steering, just a straight column which a shifter lever from reverse down to 1st
Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wtf ??

Originally Posted by raminc
I had the same kind of elec issue. Just got a 80/302. Changed starter /solenoid /coil /duramax ll the thing kept cranking. Turned out to be a bad ground that wes toasting thw solenoid.

Buzzing. If its a manual. Try adjusting the shifter/shifter stop. May not be completely engaged
The Duramax II ?? Whats a Duramax II ? Wow. The thing kept cranking ? What thing kept cranking ? Try adjusting the shifter/shifter stop ? You are making absolutely no sense what so ever.