Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Help!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
DSBP F-150

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Lightbulb Help!?!?

so i have a hole in this thing and i dont have a clue what it is called lol but i will post a few pics and hopefully someone will help me out, and about this hole is there any way i can replace this thing and put something else there and or just completely just take it out. any help will be thanked, the first pic is the thing i was talking about, and the second one is where the two hoses connect to, like i said any help will be well appreciated, and sorry about the photo quality i just snapped these with my phone cause i cant find my nikon anywhere lol.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps I'm just not seeing it but are you referring to the hole in your fenderwall?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

^agreed, need clarification on both pics.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 AM
DSBP F-150

o im sry guys, the unit with the 2 hoses going into it, right underneath the whole in the firewall. and the second pics is where those 2 hoses are going to in the engine block
Old 08-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the heater core?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM
DSBP F-150

is there anyway i can cap it off if not needed>?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM

The two hoses supply coolant to the heater core. The big black thing (technical term) is the blower motor housing (looks metal there, but it's plastic on my '83) which should house the blower motor, heater core and probably the air selector (floor, panel defrost) and temperature selector (route heat air from outside or through heater core). If it's a hole in the housing you could probably just seal the hole, I'm not even sure that is necessary. If it's a hole in the heater core than you'll need to replace it or you'll smell antifreeze inside the vehicle. For clarification maybe you could circle the area you are referring to.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
DSBP F-150

well i was just wondering if i can bypass this whole system, cause it leaks antifreeze out of the bottom of my truck. and i really dont use my heater at all and if i can will someone tell me how i would bypass, a family member told me i can take the 2 hoses and put them together and that will eliminate my heater and i will still have my ac portion of the system, but it doesnt leak into my truck at all i dont smell nothing neither. so anymore advice will be helpful, i live in FL thats why i dont use my heater that much, the coldest it gets here is 70. if it gets any colder i will drive one of my other vehicles. i just like driving my truck without having to put water or anit-freeze in it everytime i run it for a few mins. but if the bypass is a simple way i will be doing that, if it wont hurt anyhting it my truck. thats why i was just wondering. much appreciated guy for all the help

Thanks, David
Old 08-15-2009, 10:37 PM

That's good calrification. To bypass the heater system (core) just disconnect the two hoses and connect them together (leaves a lot of unnecessary hose). Or you can use a short enough hose to just connect the hoses where the come out of the engine block. I did this temporarily while I got a new heater core. Fortunately on the older vehicles a leaking heater core just means a slight smell and no mess inside the vehicle. Bypassing it mean you waon't have to keep refilling the radiator.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM
DSBP F-150

Originally Posted by scubasimmons
That's good calrification. To bypass the heater system (core) just disconnect the two hoses and connect them together (leaves a lot of unnecessary hose). Or you can use a short enough hose to just connect the hoses where the come out of the engine block. I did this temporarily while I got a new heater core. Fortunately on the older vehicles a leaking heater core just means a slight smell and no mess inside the vehicle. Bypassing it mean you waon't have to keep refilling the radiator.
i feel stupid but how would i connect them lol, and where can i get the stuff that i need to connect the two together and man thanks alot for all the work of helping me out, i really do appreciate you helping me out