Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Filler Neck Vent Tube Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filler Neck Vent Tube Question

So I bought this ‘86 and it takes gas really slow. I dropped the tank to look at the filler neck and half of the vent tube is gone. Anyone else had this happen? If so were you able to get just some random fuel line to fix it or did you have to get a new neck?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Much easier to swap in a newer filler neck from the JY. You'll get a nicer fuel cap in the process. This shows the differences:

(phone app link)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea looks better but I just didn't have time to go grab one. I ended up going with 3 foot long fuel line and removed what was left of the old vent. I think if I swap it with a bigger diameter tube it'll be better but it's bearable now at least.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Be careful not to kink it on the install its more than likely your problem. The vent tube is not much more than a rad hose, if part (pic to small) was missing it shouldn't cause a fill problem mostly a loss of gasoline. I'd say its the rubber filler thats the problem. I bent a piece of stiff wire n took the whole assy. to a muffler shop and had them n
bend me a new one (15.00 + 5.00 ish for a new cap) eliminating nearly all the rubber now it takes gas faster than it uses it.
Good luck n still cheaper n fixable than a new truck, not to mention insurance n plates (tags)

Quick Reply: Fuel Filler Neck Vent Tube Question