Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel drip after canister filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel drip after canister filter

Hi, lou here. I am having a fuel drip only when truck is running. It is dripping between the canister filter and the high pressure pump. At the moment there is no filter in the canister. I finally found the right size locally. It hasn't dripped very long just started. 5.0 efi 1985- . could it be the fitting? My son is crawling under it today to check it out. Just wondering if this is common problem. Am getting the filter today and will post results.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep. Dripping everywhere. Common problem. When I bought my truck (1986 F-150 5.8L V8 with carburetor) it too was leaking fuel from the fuel pump (both inlet and outlet) and from the carb inlet and from the front bowl and this is just a low pressure pump (not the high pressure for the fuel injected vehicles). Needed new rubber hoses, gaskets, etc and everything is fine now. I also added an inline filter too since there didn't seem to be one anywhere.

Similar issue on the diesel pickup... leaking from the rubber hoses connected to the plastic injector adapter. New hoses, injectors, and plastic hose/injector connectors fixed it too.

Last edited by Braggs; 04-14-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added similar issues with diesel pickup
The following users liked this post:
louderr57 (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 PM

Turns out the rubber o ring was missing. Got the new filter and it comes with a new o ring. I am confused thought about the canister housing. There are two small (about the size of a dime) screens at the top of the housing. It looks like they are gone. Does anyone know what those actually do?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 PM

I just removed the canister and replaced it with 2 fuel filters from a newer Ford. If anyone else does this there are only 2 filters that will work. Check one is a 3/8-3/8 and the return line is the 5/16-5/16 .

Quick Reply: Fuel drip after canister filter