Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Ford TOD transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford TOD transmission questions

Hello, all. Just got my new truck off the trailer and in the driveway. She's an '85 F150, 4.9 4wd, with the TOD transmission. Can't seem to find much to read about these guys. Seems to shift perfectly, though it seems just a bit tight when shifting, and I do want to go through it. (That is, it slides in just fine, but seems almost as if the gearshift isn't lining up with something. It takes a moment of playing sometimes). Anyway, what kind of lubricant do these use? I know it doesn't have a drain. I heard someone say 80-90, another guy said a grease.. I've never played with one before I mostly work on older vehicles. Any pointers for this thing? I know your supposed to service it through the top.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, I do not have a TOD in my truck, I have an 1985 with a NP435. That being said I have been looking all over the place for info on these transmissions for a potential swap so I can get overdrive. But from what I have read, the T-170s use just regular gear oil. So anything like 80-90 or 75-90 should be fine. Don’t know if I would recommend a full synthetic oil since your transmission has never had anything but conventional oil in it to start with. But I have also read that some people are using 75-90 synthetic in T-18s and NP435s, and it is producing a little better shifting quality especially when the engine and transmission is cold.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, for what it’s worth, just took a look at the owners manual that came with my truck. It said the “4 speed overdrive” unit takes 2.5 quarts of “standard transmission lube”. That would be more than likely, even in the 80s, a 80-90 gear oil that would be also be put into rear ends and front differentials. In the 60s and 70s manuals would say “50W” oil for manual transmissions which is basically 80-90 gear oil of today. I changed the oil in my NP435 with fresh 80-90 and it shifts great unless it’s cold outside, but it gets better as soon as the gear oil gets warmer. Ford, to the best of my knowledge, didn’t start putting ATF in manual transmissions until the usage of the Mazda M5-OD and ZF heavy duty units.