Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

F150 Squeak

Old 01-21-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question F150 Squeak

I seem to have developed a squeak, or chirping, sound coming from under the floor of my 78 F150. I have a 400M engine with a four speed manual transmission. The noise picks up after a couple of miles of driving and is constant. It goes away when I disengage the clutch and comes back when I let it up again; no matter what speed I’m going. Clutch, Transmission, bearings, any suggestions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Peter
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Decendant of Jed Clampett

Your throwout bearing is going bad. I have the same thing with my 89 S10. It isn't a major issue, if you can live with the squeak, but will eventually get worse.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:36 PM

thanks, so the solution is: turn up the radio?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 PM

That's what I did. Only hear it when going through the drive thru at the bank or something. It can be very annoying, but it wasn't worth tearing the transmission and clutch out of it just to fix a squeak to me.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by FingOldRebuiltDodge
Your throwout bearing is going bad. I have the same thing with my 89 S10. It isn't a major issue, if you can live with the squeak, but will eventually get worse.
Guys,

I have been accused of dyslexia on occasions. But reading the original problem a couple of times, I am convinced that the problem isn’t the through out bearing. The description indicates that the problem comes when the clutch is in normal operational position. It goes away when you step on the clutch pedal disengaging the clutch (am I correct?). If this is true, the problem is probably the main bearing in your trans. It stops turning when you disengage the clutch.

The throughout bearing will cause noise when you step on the clutch peddle which engages the throughout bearing to disengage the clutch.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Bill Z,

I understand where you are coming from, but the throw out bearing can also do the same thing. When the clutch is not being used, the throw out bearing is not underpressure. Mine makes a chirping sound when my foot is not on the clutch. When I rest my foot on the clutch, taking up the slack in the clutch, the chirping (squeaking) goes away. It is NOT the input bearing. I have heard this before in many vehicles over the years. It is not uncommon.

Jim
Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 PM

thanks, I'll do a little wait and see (or hear). It seams to have stoped when the weather warmed up here in New England.

Peter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 Squeak