Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Engine running hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Engine running hot?

Ok so i got a new sending unit for the temp gauge so now it works. The problem is that driving today it was on the L in normal. Is that normal? I have no idea if the thermostat is original and will probably replace it. I think I have the supercooling radiator option. I have a trans cooler and an oil cooler, so that and a heavy duty radiator must be it right? I know that the gauges arent perfect but the L seems a little to close to Hot
Old 06-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Red
Ok so i got a new sending unit for the temp gauge so now it works. The problem is that driving today it was on the L in normal. Is that normal? I have no idea if the thermostat is original and will probably replace it. I think I have the supercooling radiator option. I have a trans cooler and an oil cooler, so that and a heavy duty radiator must be it right? I know that the gauges arent perfect but the L seems a little to close to Hot
That looks a little hot to me. Replacing the thermostat is a good idea. It might not be opening up all the way and is a cheap part (despite mild difficulty) that requires periodic replacement. Don't forget to check your fluid levels (oil and water).

Even though you have an extra trans cooler, do the lines go through the radiator also? Do you have good oil pressure?

BTW, paint me jealous of the 460 C6 4x4 combo with the trans and oil cooler. That's gonna be a beast of a workhorse.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM

Oil pressure is good, I have an upper radiator hose on the way and will get a thermostat soon. Thanks, i got to get this truck because my last one was rusted out and done for before I even got it. This new truck needs attention, and I don't know much or have someone to truly help me with it but Im learning an little by little the truck is getting better. Who knows how good the PO treated it. Nice old guy but the truck was mostly sitting. Dead bugs sitting atop of the intake manifold. I probably have a clogged radiator so will check that soon. You got a chev im your f150? 5.7? I wish i had a 12 foot bed!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Oil pressure is good, I have an upper radiator hose on the way and will get a thermostat soon. Thanks, i got to get this truck because my last one was rusted out and done for before I even got it. This new truck needs attention, and I don't know much or have someone to truly help me with it but Im learning an little by little the truck is getting better. Who knows how good the PO treated it. Nice old guy but the truck was mostly sitting. Dead bugs sitting atop of the intake manifold. I probably have a clogged radiator so will check that soon. You got a chev im your f150? 5.7? I wish i had a 12 foot bed!
Thanks for pointing out the typo. It's a 5.8L V8 (351W HO 4 bbl) and is pretty strong.

I dunno how a radiator could get clogged. Some people say the water & antifreeze should be changed occasionally but as long as the color is good and green, I've never bothered doing it. When it changes color, then you've got problems (rust, oil, etc). Instead I wait until I change the lower radiator hose to change the water.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM

When you gonna post some pics?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:22 PM

I tried posting some before but they were sideways... After letting it cool down I checked the radiator out. Lots of coolant in the overflow container and low in the radiator. Bad cap ya think? I actually wish i had the 5.8, the 460 is cool but is a gas hog. With the 351 h.o. You could get good power and decent mileage for an old truck.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:44 PM

I tried posting some before but they were sideways... After letting it cool down I checked the radiator out. Lots of coolant in the overflow container and low in the radiator. Bad cap ya think? I actually wish i had the 5.8, the 460 is cool but is a gas hog. With the 351 h.o. You could get good power and decent mileage for an old truck.
Lol, I only get 10mpg so it's still not very good. Even the old 6 cylinder engines only got 14 on a good day. It's a truck not a commuter vehicle. A rice burner gets 30mpg or more but it won't haul a dozen fence panels, 2000 lbs of shingles, or drag a 69 Galaxy.

The radiator cap is supposed to hold a certain amount of pressure. If it's not holding, you'll get extra fluid in the overflow and the temp will run higher. This is another cheap maintenance part that people often forget. You might get lucky and find one on clearance in Walmart for <$5. Sure, get a new one and see if the temp improves.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 PM

Going to get the correct one soon and bringing it to the trusted family mechanic. I know these old trucks are real trucks which I love, but 7-8 mpg with the 460! Cmon! If I had 10 mpg with the 5.8 making at least 210 hp (done any mods to yours?) stock, i would rather have that than 7-8 mpg making 230 hp. Torque is way different though.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:09 PM

Going to get the correct one soon and bringing it to the trusted family mechanic. I know these old trucks are real trucks which I love, but 7-8 mpg with the 460! Cmon! If I had 10 mpg with the 5.8 making at least 210 hp (done any mods to yours?) stock, i would rather have that than 7-8 mpg making 230 hp. Torque is way different though.
No mods to mine yet. Just replacing worn/old components with new stock parts. I'm a DIY person and have only taken it to the exhaust shop once for the heat riser removal. The rest was done by me.

It sounds like you're on the right path and understand the workings of a vehicle rather well. There's a good article on the other forum about improving mpgs in the 460. They were getting 10-12 it sounded like. Of course tire size and gear ratio matter a lot.

I grew up with Fords and the 460 we had at the time (in a 1973 F250) had gobs of towing power. Before the 460 was in the truck it had a 428 which really had to work hard to pull the stock trailer but the 460 pulled it like it wasn't even there.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:44 PM

Ive always liked the 6th gens just as much as the 7ths. My grandpa had a 74 f250 with a 390 4 speed. Was a budget build until my grandpa, in a hurry put the thermostat in wrong and wrecked the engine, then my uncle (the one who got my 84 when it was new) got to rebuild it with no $ limits. It was a badass truck! My mom has told me stories of it running on fumes as they rolled into the gas station, and how people offered to buy the truck. Keep in mind this was a 74 ford in the 90s all restored, not to many of them left around or fixed up yet. Kind of like our trucks, in limbo waiting for the people to give them the attention they deserve.

Quick Reply: Engine running hot?