Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

EMP proofing 1985 F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EMP proofing 1985 F150

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been on this page, but of course I'm now needing advice. My 1985 F150 is the first year they put fuel injection in the F150. It's got the 5.0L V8 engine with 4 speed manual transmission. I want to EMP proof this truck. I know it would be cheaper and easier if I just sold this truck and bought something older, but it has sentimental value and I never plan to sell it. So it doesn't really matter what it costs me to do, I want to do it to this truck. It only has 62K original miles at that. Now my question. Is it even possible to EMP proof this truck without changing the entire engine? I feel like I can change the intake manifold, put on a carb, change the distributor, install a manual fuel pump, get rid of the computer and electric fuel pump and everything would be good to go. Am I missing something or is this not even doable. Will the cam shaft run a manual fuel pump?
Thanks in advance.
Charles Kimbrough

Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like you've covered just about everything except maybe for some manual gauges.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the idea you're going for, the only thing I could think of that you might have to do after a carb swap would be a vacuum advance distributor to eliminate even more potential electronic failures during an EMP. I have 2 totally unrelated questions to this thread though, where did you get those fender flared and did you have to cut the fenders?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I think the fuel pump cam is a stamped steel eccentric that bolts onto the front of the cam, as opposed to a dedicated cam lobe. Does your timng cover have a fuel pump pad?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 67 Tempest and I have asked my self the same question. I think I would only need to shield is a new distributor module. Everything else, sans radio and amps are ok. Relays shouldn't really be effected as it doesn't have anything other than a electrical switch.

I think it would be easier to keep spares of EMP sensitive stuff in a faraday cage and swap out as needed.

That said, you will need a new engine with mechanical fuel pump as the motor might have an internal regulator for fuel pressure.

Food for thought.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Yes you can do it; if you really want to.
You'd still need to keep a spare coil and condensor. Just in case.
The following users liked this post:
CKimbrough18 (06-15-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just thinking about the voltage regulator. That may need to be shielded.
CKimbrough18 (06-15-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:13 PM

Tinfoil car cover?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The potential EMP vulnerability of automobiles derives from the use of built-in electronics
that support multiple automotive functions. Electronic components were first
introduced into automobiles in the late 1960s. As time passed and electronics technologies
evolved, electronic applications in automobiles proliferated. Modern automobiles
have as many as 100 microprocessors that control virtually all functions. While electronic
applications have proliferated within automobiles, so too have application standards and
electromagnetic interference and electromagnetic compatibility (EMI/EMC) practices.
Thus, while it might be expected that increased EMP vulnerability would accompany the
proliferated electronics applications, this trend, at least in part, is mitigated by the
increased application of EMI/EMC practices.

We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages
ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive
electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The
testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially
increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent)
was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous
response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the
simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and
engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles
that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running
automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately
30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a
stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile
were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five
automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g.,
blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the
37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

You can read the rest here, http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

Basically your wasting your time doing anything.
chupa (06-21-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM

That's interesting stuff. Thanks!