Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Dual Tank trouble 84 f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Tank trouble 84 f150

i have a 84 f150 4x4 with 300 six dual tanks. i can only currently use my front tank the rear makes the gauge needle go empty and starves the engine i have a 3 port selector valve it gets power when i have it selecting the front tank. but no power when its on the back tank. it is brand new was able to warranty it out through Oreily's. its a BWD part#fsv1. there is fuel in the tank infact its full. but even when im driving and switch eventually it starves the motor and i run out of fuel. im at a loss for what to do. any ideas?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Being it is 32 years old , you might replace some fuel line hose. When the rubber gets old it tends to cave in on it self from the pressure of the fuel system, the rubber looses it's rigidity and it is fairly cheap for fuel line hose.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:41 PM

My tank selector died on me and I bought a new one from Summit Racing for $37. It has worked great since. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-fv1/overview/

Also, try checking the rear tank line and see if it's clear. When I swapped my selector out, the rear line would flow fuel even when the truck was level. If it doesn't flow, try opening the gas cap to see if it's vapor locked. If it's not vapor locked, try blowing air back through the line to clear the pick up in the tank. If it was clogged, it's likely worth your time to drain the fuel, drop the tank, and clean it out. Summit also has replacement tanks for about $90. I ended up replacing mine as they were both rusty inside.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:32 PM

y 1982 f-150 rear tank wore a hole in it and i drained it and flushed it with water and will remove it when weather is warmer ( I'M in the Rockies Colorado). Any way today the rear tank was leaking again ??. It it the selector valve on the driver rail that is bad? and that is why it forces fuel from the front tank into the rear tank?, Just as a stop gap measure i clamped the hose closed from the rear tank and removed the gas cap thinking maybe the pressure build up is forcing the fuel back to the rear tank ?. Is it the selector valve on the rail driver side ?. I have the selector valve in the cab dash set on front tank?. I am going to replace the rear tank and sending unit but was hoping to make it till spring with the rear tank hose clamped off no fuel can go in or out i thiunk?. Any ideas out there to make it till spring or have i done all i can with clamping the rear tank hose closed ?. Any help is appreciated very much. I do all the work on my truck. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 PM

I also bought a brass 3 port manual fuel tank selector valve i will install on the floor of the cab by the seat. My experience has been it is hard to find the 3 port tank selector that is the right one most of the offerings today on the internet as well as cookie cutter auto parts stores sell a fuel selector valve that isn't the correct one as they all have a plug in for wiring and my original fuel selector valve located on the rail drivers side has no plug in only one wire to power the valve ?. So i bought the 3 port brass manual valve and this eliminates the leak back and i think if i leave the wire hooked to it and leave it in placee then install the brass valve the tank selector switch on the dash should still give me a read out as to what the tank i'm on holds full/empty or where ever i am at in the tank.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Old Timer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by syntheticd
i have a 84 f150 4x4 with 300 six dual tanks. i can only currently use my front tank the rear makes the gauge needle go empty and starves the engine i have a 3 port selector valve it gets power when i have it selecting the front tank. but no power when its on the back tank. it is brand new was able to warranty it out through Oreily's. its a BWD part#fsv1. there is fuel in the tank infact its full. but even when im driving and switch eventually it starves the motor and i run out of fuel. im at a loss for what to do. any ideas?
Did you get this fixed ??
Old 10-23-2020, 01:46 AM

Default Wear is the tank selector switch located ? I cant find it ? I have a 1984 f150 4x4

Originally Posted by ttrimaldi
My tank selector died on me and I bought a new one from Summit Racing for $37. It has worked great since. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-fv1/overview/

Also, try checking the rear tank line and see if it's clear. When I swapped my selector out, the rear line would flow fuel even when the truck was level. If it doesn't flow, try opening the gas cap to see if it's vapor locked. If it's not vapor locked, try blowing air back through the line to clear the pick up in the tank. If it was clogged, it's likely worth your time to drain the fuel, drop the tank, and clean it out. Summit also has replacement tanks for about $90. I ended up replacing mine as they were both rusty inside.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:44 AM

The selector valve is on the inside of the driver's side frame rail about the middle of the truck on my longbed RWD. Not sure if it would be in exactly the same on a shortbed 4WD.

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Lino