Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Cruise Control on my 86EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control on my 86EFI

I had a bad EGR Valve on my 86 I had replaced approx 1 year ago and ever since then my cruise control hasn't worked since. I've checked all the electrical connections found nothing. The guy was all over the too of my motor with his body and I expect he's pulled some vaccum hose lose somewhere under my hood. Ever since now he doesn't even want to help to find it. Can anyone tell me where I can start looking? I bought this truck new in 1986 and it just turned 73kmi. It's been a great truck. Just replaced my first water pump on it since it was new in 86. 30yrs aint bad for a factory water pump! Thanks guys. Alan
Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You can find vacuum leaks with a can of carb cleaner. Just spray it around the engine compartment while the engine is running. When the RPMs dip, you found the area of the leak. If it's just the cruise, check the vacuum hose going to the unit. Here's a picture of something similar to look for. Just trace the line back until you get to the carburetor.

The following users liked this post:
gravedancer1969 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedancer1969
I had a bad EGR Valve on my 86 I had replaced approx 1 year ago and ever since then my cruise control hasn't worked since. I've checked all the electrical connections found nothing. The guy was all over the too of my motor with his body and I expect he's pulled some vaccum hose lose somewhere under my hood. Ever since now he doesn't even want to help to find it. Can anyone tell me where I can start looking? I bought this truck new in 1986 and it just turned 73kmi. It's been a great truck. Just replaced my first water pump on it since it was new in 86. 30yrs aint bad for a factory water pump! Thanks guys. Alan
Alan, look at the radiator core support for the vacuum routing label. Just a side note, Ford called it Speed Control.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control on my 86EFI