Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Colorado emmissions waiver.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Colorado emmissions waiver.

I failed my emmissions yesterday and after the fact i discovered a waiver for amy veterans who have a disability in Colorado. I own a 1982 F-150 302 v8 2 brl carb.

I failed running rich. I discovered that if any one is a veteran with a disability, the percent of disability doesn't matter. I am going to recieve a waiver and i won't ever have to emmission a vehicle again.

I thought it might be a good thing to pass along to any veterans in Colorado. I'm sure this applys in more states than Colorado.
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

An up date to the waiver for Veterans: After meeting with the state rep who issues the waivers i found out that the waiver goes like this: I have an option of going for the collector plates( 5 year plate) or the regular 2 year emissions sticker. In either casse the waiver is not an exemption from emmissions but a reprieve. I still will have to emmission my F-150 after either tag expires at the end of the 2 year or the five year.

The five year tag is desirable but at a cost of $250.00 vs $70.00 for the 2 year tag.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Classic Ford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My name is Brandon..
I live in Colorado for some time and i recently registered my pickup with 1 yr emissions passing. I recommend going through the vacuum hosing with a spray bottle and light dish soap. your lines might be a little more difficult..remember vacuum switches rely on thermostatic material known as bi-metallic which wear out fast.(8yrs?) these parts are cheap but are critical for emissions. i suggest strip ties at every connect or least the metal ports. take your time and examine the EGR unit. tampering is illegal, fixing it is not.
it could be as simple as a pluggled one stuck closed due to soot and rust. these are 50$ with instructions to your engine.(some have washers)..yours also has early emissions and a possible charcoal box. inspect each peice.. all you need are american wrenches and some time. start with the easy stuff.. think air tight. and if your cat is sooty.. getta new one too..but this is last. its all easy peasy work and if you hire a tech it shouldn't be expensive
once this is all done right you'r exhaust should smell like a clean fryer =) nox is very obvious
if you have to hire a tech have him or her do a diagnostic, be picky and aim for someone who would know these fords.. people sometimes stick air compressors in these small parts.. they're delicate especially the vacuum bags ( no sticking stuff inside either)
each item is actually fragile.(early hardened plastics) and they get brittle.
careful and good luck.

ps, if these switches(pvs bimetal thingies) are closed your pickup will run rich all the time.
any excess fumes of gas are dumped out of your exhaust. running temporarily rich until the engine pressure stabilizes is the goal at first.(oil expands and cold rich gas fills its place for a few mins) when the switches change, air rides in taking back in emissions to the intake port in the back of the carb. you also have manifold vacuum.. be sure they are correct.. many people got into plugging these beauties for horse.. sadly that hurts overall engine health..how ever its easily detectable.. imo your failed emissions test tells it all.. look at the numbers.. if the nox is high.. your setup isn't air tight.

brandon

Last edited by orangecounty; 07-09-2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: proofed
Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 PM

My original emmissions attempt came out every thing passed except i was running a little rich. I did some adjustments to the carb and leaned it out to the sweet spot and i could pass if i went today but i already have the waiver so i probably will get the 5 year tag and not worry about it at least for 5 years lol.

Quick Reply: Colorado emmissions waiver.