Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

break lights out, but rear running lights and blinkers work

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights out, but rear running lights and blinkers work

hey yall,
i have a 1986 F150 whose brake lights arent working, when i turn the headlights on the rear running lights work and the rear blinkers work but nothing when i hit the brake.
any suggestions?
thanks!
kev

Last edited by phelps40; 11-18-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ill have to double check, but I think that they have 2 bulbs. One for running and turn signal and one for brake lights. Might be as simple as just need a new bulb.

IF the bulbs are good, then I would look to see if the brake light sensor on the pedal is not working.

It is a switch that has a bracket right next to the brake pedal bar. When you push the brake pedal, the switch opens and you get brake lights. Cheap part and cheap fix.
Attached Thumbnails break lights out, but rear running lights and blinkers work-brake-switch.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
phelps40 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also say maybe the brake light switch, a easy way to see if it and all the electrical is working correctly pertaining to the lights is to turn on the emergency flashers, make sure they work and then hit the brake pedal, if they stop flashing the switch is more than likely good. That can be done with engine off. I have found on some of my old Fords that, believe this or not, all lights go through the turn signal switch and lots of time the curved plug that is located on the steering column under the dash gets hot and melts. That was the case on two of the wreckers I had a long while ago.
The following users liked this post:
phelps40 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ive had someone rip off my trailer brake light plug and it grounding on itself/bumper caused the same thing for me, so mebe make sure urs isnt rotting away

Quick Reply: break lights out, but rear running lights and blinkers work