Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Blinkers not working after adding LED taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinkers not working after adding LED taillights

I have replaced the taillights with LED lights and also replaced the flasher on my 68 ford pickup. Now my taillights work, but blinkers and flasher don't work. I didn't replace the front lights, they are still bulb. What could be the problem?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am having crazy issues trying to replace my 78's as well. The fronts work fine with the LED but everything stops working when I install the rears.

I have the "no load" electronic flasher and have tried resistors in the rear with no use.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer33
I have replaced the taillights with LED lights and also replaced the flasher on my 68 ford pickup. Now my taillights work, but blinkers and flasher don't work. I didn't replace the front lights, they are still bulb. What could be the problem?
Did you replace the flasher with a LED compatible unit? A standard flasher won't work with LED's.

Last edited by klricks; 04-14-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Try putting in incandescent bulbs and see if that fixes the problem.
The following users liked this post:
77f150Explorer (03-17-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Similar Issue

Have an 86 F150 XLT and just replaced tail/brake, reverse, side marker and turn signal bulbs with LEDs. All lights work, however, turn signals/hazards will not. I also installed an electronic flasher with ground wire. Still no turn signals/hazards. Previously installed mechanical flasher and incandescent turn signals worked before installing LEDs.

Swapped out a working electronic flasher from another vehicle with LEDs and same results.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Kevo80; 02-08-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:11 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Post pics of the flasher, especially how you have it wired. Where did you connect the ground wire? Some are polarized backward for these trucks, so you may need to reverse the terminals in the fuse block.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:56 AM

Received 625 Likes on 381 Posts

This is very common when replacing bulbs with leds. The flasher relay needs a load on it to function, and the LEDs dont draw enough power to operate it. You have a few options. You can try a LED compatible flasher in the fuse panel. If that doesn't work you can try a different one, but this gets annoying to keep trying. You can try adding load resistors in line with the blinker bulb wiring to generate the load. If that doesn't work you can leave bulbs in the fronts and put LED's in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
77f150Explorer (03-17-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:18 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions. I ended up using a reverse polarity adapter that came with another electronic flasher I was using on my K5. That took care of the issue. Turn signals working!! I’ve attached the pictures should anyone else run into the same issue. Thanks again!

Another issue I ran into, (didn’t find out until after my original post): When I turn the ignition to the on position, my LED taillights light up very faintly. Headlight/taillight switch is not on. Same for when I turn ignition in the reverse direction (Accessory position). All lights function properly…and now turn signals. My hazard switch is very temperamental, though. I have to finagle the switch in order for hazards to work. Not sure if it’s related.

Thoughts??

Initial setup. Turn signals not working.

Electronic flasher with wire extensions reversed. Turn signals working.

Polarity reversing adapter

Electronic flasher with reversing adapter.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:00 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevo80
My hazard switch is very temperamental, though. I have to finagle the switch in order for hazards to work. Not sure if it’s related.
Thoughts??
Hard to guess with NO information about the truck. Put ALL its details into your signature as this page explains so we can review them with each reply, without having to dig back through old posts:

(click this text)

Don't leave anything out - you probably don't know all the factors that can affect each symptom, so just put everything in there. Try not to repeat (we know it's a Ford F150 made in the 1900s, so you can leave that out) so that you use all the available space to describe the truck. Read that whole page.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Hard to guess with NO information about the truck. Put ALL its details into your signature as this page explains so we can review them with each reply, without having to dig back through old posts:

(click this text)

Don't leave anything out - you probably don't know all the factors that can affect each symptom, so just put everything in there. Try not to repeat (we know it's a Ford F150 made in the 1900s, so you can leave that out) so that you use all the available space to describe the truck. Read that whole page.
Done, to the best of my knowledge.

Quick Reply: Blinkers not working after adding LED taillights