Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Back with another old Ford!!! Need Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back with another old Ford!!! Need Help Please!!!

I just bought my step-dads 1986 F-150 Custom it's got a 300 6 cylinder and a 4-speed manual. The truck is kinda rough still but has a new paint job. I have some questions on what to do with it. For one, the motors in good shape but I was talking to a guy about a BB 390 he wants $400 bucks for. Can I put that 390 in the truck with the same 4-speed? By the way, the truck is only 2WD. The truck is carbureted, so a 390 with a 4V outta be alright I think. The truck needs a steering wheel (I have one from my 93' F-150) will that one work (I mean it has the cruise buttons and all that) but could the 93' steering wheel fit? Also, I am gonna take out the bench seat and replace it with a couple of buckets like maybe from a later lariat. I also have two red door panels from a 95 with power windows, locks, mirrors and could they fit on the 86's doors with the 86' dash staying the same? I need some help on this I am excited about this one! I'd appreciate some advice! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 AM
A_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it s a bit late to post on this.

The door panels will fit. The steeirng wheel should fit.

now onto the motor and tranny. The 390 isnt a big block. it still a small block. The smallest big block is the 400 it came in a small block and big block.

i dont know if your bell housing will match up. but in any case. What kind of tranny is it.

A np435 will work with a 390 will work perfectly. Take off gear is 2nd. 3 speed with granny is a np 435

Quick Reply: Back with another old Ford!!! Need Help Please!!!